Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Wondering, if a copper backing plate would help dissipate some of the heat to slow the melt down a bit?

Quote Originally Posted by monte55 View Post
    I've seen welds without filler before.
    Nick
    Nick,

Are you wanting the entire weld bead to be without filler?
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Nick,

Are you wanting the entire weld bead to be without filler?
    Not really. But the way it's going I couldn't even make tacks. The joint was a
    6" x .125 round disk set inside a 6" ID tube set flush with the end and a very tight seam. When I heated the joint and as it started to puddle, the edges of each piece melted back away from the seam line leaving a void. If I applied a little filler to bring the two molten edges together, then I could continue without filler if I was careful but the weld was flat and no real strength. So......how does one make a tack weld when this happens?
    Nick
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by monte55 View Post
    Not really. But the way it's going I couldn't even make tacks. The joint was a
    6" x .125 round disk set inside a 6" ID tube set flush with the end and a very tight seam. When I heated the joint and as it started to puddle, the edges of each piece melted back away from the seam line leaving a void. If I applied a little filler to bring the two molten edges together, then I could continue without filler if I was careful but the weld was flat and no real strength. So......how does one make a tack weld when this happens?
    Nick
    You must make these tacks fast to keep the edges from rolling back. With the disk set flush and with a very tight seam that tack should be very easy to do if you have enough machine to "get there right now". If you have to build heat with time IT WILL NOT WORK.

HTH
    Griff

Quote Originally Posted by griff01 View Post
    You must make these tacks fast to keep the edges from rolling back. With the disk set flush and with a very tight seam that tack should be very easy to do if you have enough machine to "get there right now". If you have to build heat with time IT WILL NOT WORK.

HTH
    Griff
    X2

I was going to interject something about getting it done quickly. Don't dilly-dally, get some heat in there, and fast.

On stuff that's really important, I'll test a few things on scrap first to get my head in the game.

Yeah, hit it with the heat big time. Super clean material, tight fit, electrode angle are all key.
    For the flush fit you mention I would probably have the electrode roughly parallel with the disc, pushing the pipe material towards the disc with the arc.
    "If you build it, they will come!"

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    ever hear of a clamp,or tack weld...if you can't handle a tack you don't know what your at...this is the brain power cutting me down ...and others...I bet your an expert on growing flowers....
    Hey Reggie...We get your point without a doubt
    But rather than burning yourself up with this, when we all know you obviously have good knowledge to contribute, why not let it go?
    You are just skirting the edge of forum rules if not disobeying them and it generally ruins the entire mood here and really does not make you any real friends either.
    It is one thing to make a snide comment here or there but to dig up old threads and call someone out is actually nothing more than harrassment plain and simple. No matter who started it, and I doubt anyone cares it is beginning to get out of hand now.
    If Monte wants to watch Hawks or raise flowers and post about it then it just shows maybe we could have an off topic section.
    I spend enuff time on here I have grown to respect the opinions of many members on a broad variety of subjects besides just welding. Monte is simply sharing his. There are a ton of threads I simply do not read because I have no interest in them.
    So as nothing other than just one forum member to another....could you just let this go PLEASE and help keep the peace here at miller?? We have already had enuff drama here for several forums
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Hi Nick,

I did these aluminum cubes in almost the same way as your round tube setup.

The material is 1/8" thick and the finished cubes are 3 1/4" on each side.

Since the material is 3" wide, I cut the pieces 3" long.

Tacked the 4 sides together leaving a 3" x 3" opening for each "plug"

Then I had to figure out how to keep the plug from falling in.

Used a small 2" diameter rod and a stack of washers inside to get the aluminum plug to end up 1/8" higher than the sides.

Then used filler rod to do an outside corner weld which was easier for me to do.

So it is not exactly like your situation.

If I had to do your weld, I would have the round plug stick up above the edge of the pipe and do the same outside weld with filler rod.

Oh, had to drill the vent hole after I messed up the first one as it was not vented.

Good luck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, Miller Dynasty 350, Hypertherm 1000, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.:

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    Hey Reggie...We get your point without a doubt
    But rather than burning yourself up with this, when we all know you obviously have good knowledge to contribute, why not let it go?
    You are just skirting the edge of forum rules if not disobeying them and it generally ruins the entire mood here and really does not make you any real friends either.
    It is one thing to make a snide comment here or there but to dig up old threads and call someone out is actually nothing more than harrassment plain and simple. No matter who started it, and I doubt anyone cares it is beginning to get out of hand now.
    If Monte wants to watch Hawks or raise flowers and post about it then it just shows maybe we could have an off topic section.
    I spend enuff time on here I have grown to respect the opinions of many members on a broad variety of subjects besides just welding. Monte is simply sharing his. There are a ton of threads I simply do not read because I have no interest in them.
    So as nothing other than just one forum member to another....could you just let this go PLEASE and help keep the peace here at miller?? We have already had enuff drama here for several forums
    Good post FK, and all true but...................it gets to the point where guys like monte start acting like a bit of a sissy and to be completey honest, he isn't without blame here. He has been preaching for a long time about just letting things slide and not posting if you don't have anything good to say. Then, he has been the one fanning the flames and doing EXACTLY what he tells other members not to do. Hypocritical at the very least and highly instigative at best. He's creating a lot of this himself but trying to make it out like he's the good guy. Total BS.
    Dynasty 350DX
    Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
    MM 350P
    MM Passport Plus
    Spectrum 375 Extreme
    08' Trailblazer 302

Call it a tack, or call it a weld but trying to join two pieces of aluminum without filler will always result in a weld that is weaker than one in which filler was added. Not only do they often crack, the weld itself is just not as strong.

What's the problem with adding a little filler. Dang stuff is really pretty cheap.

Stainless steel, on the other hand, will fuse nicely without filler if the joint is prepared properly.