Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Aluminum tig joint problem.

I am trying to tig two flat pieces of .125" aluminum together with a tight butt seam. When the puddle starts each piece melts and pull away from the other
    creating a void. It's like they're repelling each other. The only way to stop it from continuing is to get some filler to bridge the gap and go on. I've seen welds without filler before. Is it normal for the edges to do this? I don't see this as being any different than doing spot welds that do the same for me.
    The pieces are flat on a table when welding.
    Nick
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

When i have had that problem its because of lack of cleaning and fitup. The faces of the butt don't get a lot of arc cleaning, when the metal melts the surface tension causes metal to start to round, since there is probably oxide between them if they are barely touching they wont come together. I clean well and start with low power to get more cleaning while heating up, if you can keep the coupons pushing against each other it helps too. Or you can just add filler.
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear

Default tig aluminum

i dont think you can fuse weld aluminum,but i am not positive.i have always used filler rod.

Sure you can. I do it tacking all the time.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Usually tigging Aluminum requires filler rod. If you want to fuse up with only base, bend up a flange on either side of the joint the thickness of the material (i.e. .125 flange for .125 Al). Heat with your tig torch and the flanges will melt filling the gap.

John
    John

Millermatic DVI
    Millermatic 375 xtreme
    And a brand new Syncro 200!!!

Quote Originally Posted by monte55 View Post
    I am trying to tig two flat pieces of .125" aluminum together with a tight butt seam. When the puddle starts each piece melts and pull away from the other
    creating a void. It's like they're repelling each other. The only way to stop it from continuing is to get some filler to bridge the gap and go on. I've seen welds without filler before. Is it normal for the edges to do this? I don't see this as being any different than doing spot welds that do the same for me.
    The pieces are flat on a table when welding.
    Nick
    The answer to this question depends more on the type of joint. An outside corner would be better to learn for tacking without filler. To do your butt weld, clamping somehow would be more likely than not also.
    Aluminum expands greatly also, so if you are using "strips" then you'd
    need to get the first couple of tacks done and get the two parts shrinking from previous tacks as you move on. You can see it grow apart and shrink together as you go. Shrinking and growing is something you learn to count on with aluminum...it is much more pronounced than steel IMO
    There are some things you just have to struggle with untill you get good.
    I don't tack much without filler even tho I have worked in factories that we did it a lot...I simply do not like the results myself. They crack easy. YMMV
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Yeah we tack aluminum all day long without filler BUT only on outside corners.
    FuisionKing is right, tacks without filler do crack easily so it really depends what your doing and the shrinkage can be a big issue with aluminum welding. We've had parts 8ft long shrink almost an 1/8" Not good if you haven't planned for it.
    at home:
    2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
    2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin FOR SALE
    2008 Suitcase 12RC
    Spoolmatic 30A
    WC-24
    2009 Dynasty 200DX
    2000 XMT 304
    2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Sold:MM130XP
    Sold:MM 251
    Sold:CST 280

at work:
    Invision 350MP
    Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

while you can get aluminum to fuse without filler if everything is perfectly clean and the fit up is perfect, it is much easier with filler. so i think the best advice is to just use filler-- the weld will be easier to make and stronger as well.
    miller dynasty 350
    miller spectrum 1000

The material must be FRESHLY cleaned, and I agree, use filler.

HEY! My first post! Hi kids!!!!!CHEERS!
    "If you build it, they will come!"

Quote Originally Posted by shoprat View Post
    i dont think you can fuse weld aluminum,but i am not positive.i have always used filler rod.
    Sure you can! It is a very common process when tacking up parts.

Griff