Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: bc vs alberta

Vassalboro ME.(summer) & Yuma AZ. (winter)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Wolf View Post
    No, the standards for both schools are not the same.

It has been the wish of many to get the Western Provinces to standardize the Apprenticeship Systems, so that the workers are equally trained, and can travel between the provinces with equal recognition for their achievements

Specific to your question, I will tell you what I believe to be true and you can take it with a grain of salt:

Here goes:

I believe that Alberta has a wider range of industry, and therefore a wider range of job opprotunities and different experiences.

I believe that the Alberta Apprenticeship is geared towards meeting the needs of the industries here, and by nature, have to train and produce the higher quality workers required.

I believe that because of the variety of our industries and working conditions, you will see and experience things here, within the trade, that you will not see anywhere else in Canada.

I believe that this province turns out some very high quality welders, and with the Journeyman Certificate and Inter-Provincial Red Seal, our trades people are recognized and sought after Canada wide for their skill set.
    The "B" Pressure Certification is just icing on the cake.

Now.... Having said all that, the following is needed:

I believe that no matter where you are located, or where you are trained, the ONLY limitation to your abilities and skills will be YOU. If you have the drive and desire to excel and be the best in your chosen field, it will show in your work.

I have seen the finest of welders with little or no formal training....

I have seen licensed Journeyman that I swear got their licenses out of a box of Cracker Jacks.

The biggest difference between the two - Pride in their work.

Hopefully somewhere in my ramblings you will find some wisdom that makes sense to you.

If not, hey I tried.
    Hi Jason: Thanks for keeping me straight. I'm am not from Canada,but just made an assumption that all standards within your provincials were the same. I appricate your input. I am learning alot reading all the different forums you fine folks have sent. Thanks again Arnold
    Lincoln Idealarc 250
    Millermatic 211
    Spoolmate 100
    Arnold

Most jobs in BC, along the lines of pulp mills and mines, only hire a welder with his 'A' ticket.

The 'B' ticket lets you write your Inter-provincial red seal for the main reason that you can go weld pipe in different provinces that require a red seal to test for a pressure ticket. I am not saying that just because after two years in BC's program, you are given journeymen status in AB, that BC's program is better. It's that in BC once you have your 'B' ticket you are free to weld all the pipe you want, so it makes sense that you should be able to weld pipe if you went to different provinces. They shoot to the same codes, sweet, sour, ect.

PWP's are a separate entity from the BC program. The boiler maker handles them. There are different PWP's for every procedure. Example; PWP7 is 6" and 2" schd 80 6G 6010 root, hot, 7018 fill, cap. This ticket will never expire as long as you have a signature in your log book within the last 6 months saying that you were using SMAW. This is weak because a guy could get his PWP7 then go weld structural with SMAW for ten years, and still be able to weld on pressure pipe. The down hand is PWP11, the tig is PWP10, and so on.

I have gone through the complete BC program and can say that it is top notch. I have only herd rumours about AB's program that I care not to repeat, because I have no firsthand knowledge of it being true. The one thing that I will say that speaks volume is that BC has the highest pass rate on the Red Seal exam, an exam that is an industry standard throughout Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
    The one thing that I will say that speaks volume is that BC has the highest pass rate on the Red Seal exam, an exam that is an industry standard throughout Canada.
    That's very interesting to say the least, can you show us that in writing anywhere? (Government website or scanned paper copy)
    I know lots of teachers and instructors that say their course is the best (welding or otherwise) so it may have been one of those statements to "pump a guy up" if you know what I mean.
    at home:
    2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
    2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin FOR SALE
    2008 Suitcase 12RC
    Spoolmatic 30A
    WC-24
    2009 Dynasty 200DX
    2000 XMT 304
    2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Sold:MM130XP
    Sold:MM 251
    Sold:CST 280

at work:
    Invision 350MP
    Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

We are just going to keep going round and round over this....

Big Red seems to be well versed in the BC system...

BC Hardwire seems to have gained a lot of knowledge and confidence in the last week or so which I find hilariously amusing. Here is his previous offering to the forum:

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ad.php?t=13815

Now, between that thread and this one, I have done a lot of research into the BC apprenticeship system, and have dis-spelled a number of myths and mis-understandings that I had, and have admitted to same.

When I have stated MY opinion, it has been well acknowledged as just that - opinion

I have tried to lets the facts speak for themselves, and post up links to credible information so that all can read and understand for themselves....

And after all of that, we have 2 members on here making baseless accusations...

Big Red:

"I have only heard rumours about the AB's system that I care not to repeat, because I have no first hand knowledge of it being true. The one thing that I will say that speaks volume is that BC has the highest pass rate on the Red Seal exam, an exam that is an industry standard throughout Canada."

BC_Hardwire:

" You are 100% correct! I am in my "B" level as we speak , I was talking to my instructor and he said not only is our system going to be nation wide (its in progress) but possibly global! USA is considering BC's System too.... I encourage you guys to look into this as my instructor is in the process and any more info on this would be appreciated. And ya "A" level is required at almost aall pulp mills, Dams and so 4th. I was told not to bother getting my IP cuz in time BC welders wont need it! Big changes are among us... "

Pretty simple boys... Put Up or Shut Up. Quotable facts Talk, BS walks.

If nothing else, you two are good for comedy relief. ROFLMFAO.
    Later,
    Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.

The USA certainly isn't considering the BC system or any other.
    The U.S. government has nothing to do with welder training, qualifications, codes ect.
    Private industry handles those matters just fine here. As it should be.

You may now resume your interprovidential squabble. Otherwise known as a Canadian Civil War, waged on the harsh, unforgiving battlefields of the Miller Interweb Forum.

JTMcC.
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    Now you know why I am laughing. Well, that and the other stuff I highlighted.

Isn't much to squabble about JT - any competent and sane person can see the facts as they are.

I came back in here and removed my comments regarding my first hand experience with some of the BC "Journeyman" I have worked with. I am trying to keep this discussion factual and "above the belt".
    Last edited by Black Wolf; 09-07-2008 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Comments below the belt to BC welders.
    Later,
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    The U.S. government has nothing to do with welder training, qualifications, codes ect.
    Private industry handles those matters just fine here. As it should be.

You may now resume your interprovidential squabble. Otherwise known as a Canadian Civil War, waged on the harsh, unforgiving battlefields of the Miller Interweb Forum.

JTMcC.
    Man, you sure make me laugh. Thanks again..."Canadian Civil War" haha too funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Wolf View Post
    Now you know why I am laughing.

Isn't much to squabble about JT - any competent and sane person can see the facts as they are.

I haven't heard any baseless rumours about their system, I have just worked with some of their "Journeyman" first hand.... and I can see why they are "out of work" and their province doesn't want them anymore.

Maybe the good ones stay there, and we just get the dregs.

Oh crap, now I started it.
    There is great welders on both side of the wild west & I have worked with poor welders from both sides of the wild west, with that said, we are top shelf when you talk about our welding as a trade here. We just have to have better skilled welders because of the oilpatch/pipelines we have here, you have to otherwise people will get hurt/die and then there will be $hit to pay. This is not to say that welders from other places arent great welders, I have worked with guys from BC, Sask, MB, Ont, Texas, even "Newfies" that where great welders, but they will all agree that we have alot of paper, tests, and blood sweat and tears to go through here in Alberta before we can have a Alberta ticket and even harder a "B" ticket here. I am very proud of being an Alberta ticket welder.
    DODGE 1 TON 6.7
    PIPEPRO 304
    TO MANY TOOLS
    JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
    rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
    and easily upset
    go flames go

some very interesting and useful information. thanks to all who have contributed. i can deffinately understand that albertas industry and bcs are dufferentex. oil patch vs a pulpmill or mine. i guess one benefit of bc is that you can get your ip once youve got your b ticket and apparently alot of guys do it to make more money in less time which doesnt seem like a bad idea. it seems like here alot of ppl kinda take the "shortcut" route but they may also be the type of ppl who arent as good as they should be. myself i looked into the self paced at first so i could go in learn the weld, do the weld, and be done... after thinking about it though ive decided to take up the whole 7 months and not rush anything as i want to learn as much as i possibly can. i dont want to be one of the guys who you guys talk about when saying "a journeyman who can make **** stick to a wool blanket" i want to be as knowledgable and skilled in the trade as my mind and body will allow. as far as schooling in bc or alberta now there deffinately is alot more money in alberta so it would be easier but i think i might stick with what im doing and take my c ticket here (even though its useless in ab) and see what kind of doors that will open for me then maybe head over to alberta after. and even though the c ticket is not recognized in alberta having taken the 7 months and learning what i will learn i believe that will give me a much stronger foundation to build off of as well as making me worth more to my employer. i will say if the right oppertunity comes up in alberta i will most likely take it but i think ill jsut keep going down the road im on for now and see where it takes me....
    thanks again to everyone who has contributed and sorry for making such a long post ahah... have a good one guys

P.S. anyone know of good companies to try to get on as a welders helper/ apprentice feel free to let me know

Sounds like you have your head screwed on straight, and have a plan laid out that works for you.

As for the BC "welder" (that I work with and referred to in the other thread) that cannot make Sh!t stick to a wool blanket, well, he has told me that he is level "C" but has not shown me any paperwork yet. I don't think that he is much of an Alberta Journeyman Millwright either, so I am thinking his failure to impress me on any level is due to the individual, not the training.

I removed my off colour comment regarding BC "Journeyman" because it was below the belt, but it seems that Dan still quoted it before I edited the post.

No, I do not think that poorly of all Journeyman coming out of BC. The individuals I have worked with were not great, but I do not view them as indicative of the program as a whole.

Who knows, maybe things have changed a little, and now AB Apprenticeship and Industry Training will recognize your "C" ticket. I'll do some snooping around tomorrow and find the number to the office in Grande Prairie, and you can talk with them yourself if you like.

Welcome to the trade.

Have a good night.
    Later,
    Jason