Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dialarc HF-p

Default Dialarc HF-p

Hey can anyone tell me what the difference is between a dialarc hf and a HF-p.
    One other question when welding with the older machines like the dialarc HF-P because you dont have the same options as you would on a late machine does it make it more difficult to weld alumium? i mean if u learn to weld really good on a older machine wouldnt it make it easy with a late model machine?

just a thought what are other peoples opinions

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by VW_r32 View Post
    i mean if u learn to weld really good on a older machine wouldnt it make it easy with a late model machine?
    Well if you get really good on an older machine you won't necessarily use some of the options on a newer machine. Pulse for example, I only use pulse if I'm working with really thin material, and sometimes I start without it because I forget I have it!
    All machines and processes have a learning curve, when you start using a new machine with new features you sometimes dial yourself right out of the ball park.

I guess in the long run you'll at least have experience in the process (torch and filler control, etc.) so yeah it will make things easier.
    at home:
    2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
    2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin FOR SALE
    2008 Suitcase 12RC
    Spoolmatic 30A
    WC-24
    2009 Dynasty 200DX
    2000 XMT 304
    2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Sold:MM130XP
    Sold:MM 251
    Sold:CST 280

at work:
    Invision 350MP
    Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Default dialarc

I'll just keep practising i'm looking at upgrading the machine at some stage but until then i'll keep the old girl hehe

Nothng at all wrong with a Dial Arc HF for TIG welding. Great machine. I've had mine for about 27 years and still use it daily. They are also a good machine to learn TIG. As Cwagner alluded to...you can't adjust yourself out of the ballpark. Personally I think you would be a better welder if you learned on an old school machine like that. You would have a better understaning of the weld as opposed to using a machine with all the bells and whistles as a crutch. A high tech machine won't make a bad weldor good.

I think the "p" suffix stands for a model with a "Power Factor Correction" option installed.

Default Dialarc

Yea i kinda agree with you i've got mates over here with brand new lincolns and millers and i can still weld much better on my old machine. I dont think it has anything to do with the machine but the person operating it. Although the new machines do have alot more features i still think that if you can learn on a older machine and master the basics it makes it a breeze if you go to a later model machine.
    What does the power factor actually mean? as opposed to a model that dosent have it?
    One other thing i've noticed that my machine is red i thought all Miller machines were blue? someone told me that the reason they are red is because some of them were built in Italy. They are still genuine Miller machines but just put together in Italy and painted red. Can anyone confirm up on this?
    Thanks

Miller made machines for a wide variety of firms over the years, Red in North America generally said Canox on the side.

Power factor ideally charges a set of caps so your end result would be a lower power consumption with no primary surging, that said, it would make your power meter turn so fast you'd think it was in a race with itself. So if you were running the welder all day, sure you would see some savings power wise, For a couple of hours or less a day not so good and on par with a machine without the correction in place.

The Dialarc HF's are a great long term extremely reliable machine, but being transformer based, not to effecient on the ole power bill.

Sometimes at work, when I pass by one of the Syncrowaves, I'll kind of wish I had one. But my Dialarc HF welds just as well. It's not what you've got, but what you do with it.
    AutoArc 230 (MM 210)
    3035 spoolgun
    Spectrum 625
    Dialarc HF w/Coolmate 4

Hey thanks for that i've always wondered what the p stood for now i know
    One other thing i have noticed with this machine is when u flick the amps up to the top notch i think its 125-330amps on AC ive noticed that when you start to get a weld puddle going its like the arc is blowing to hard and it makes a mess of the weld puddle. you cant get a nice bead. its fine on the middle setting where its only 125amps but anything more it seems to make a mess.
    I'm using pure Argon with a 2.4mm thoriated tungsten and a size 8 cup has anyone struck this problem before?

Default Need some info

HI All
    I recently purchased a used dial arc HF-P it seem to be a great machine one of the best i ever used but when i called my dealer to find out about a mig for it he told me i needed one thing so me being me i called several other dealers to get their opinion and out of 4 i called i got 4 different answer's so i am asking all of you WHAT DO I NEED TO MAKE IT MIG ALSO ???? any help would be greatly apperciated

Hayden Eady
    hayden@haydenstruckrepair.com
    256-466-9521

Default Voltage sensing feeder

Any voltage sensing feeder(ie lincoln ln25) will make that a MIG, However since that machine is only CC, any wire u burn through it will burn very hot and have a lot of splatter. I have found CC power sources weld wire best when used with self shielding wire like lincoln nr212 or other similiar wires. Yes u can use solid gas shielded wire in CC current, but it does not weld very well out of postion. If you weld in postion with material thicker than 1/8 it would be ok. Also be sure the feeder has a contactor or the wire will be hot all the time.
    Kevin