Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Red face Size of square tubing for garden trellis?

I want to build several (about 9) 4x7 feet trellis sections to divide a walkway visually from the pool. I am a real newbie and have only built a fence along the steps around a deck and a frame for a tile table top, so I do welcome advice. I want a rectangular outside frame with about 3-4 vertical and 3-4 horizontal pieces in some artistic rectangular design inside. After I'm done, I plan to use wire ties and hang 4x7 sections of willow/reed fencing on one side of each section to hide the pool.

I need to know what size and thickness of steel tubing I need for the outside frame and inside decorative sections. I don't want over kill, but I certainly do not want the sections to bend when the wind blows.

Also, how should I anchor these into the soil? Set them in cement? Pound each section into the ground? Set pipes with inside diameter the same size as the outside diameter of the tubing into the ground and then just stick the trellis sections into the pipes? That appeals to me so I can lift them out to paint or whatever, but I don't know how long the extra part that goes into the ground needs to be to keep the trellis sections upright and secure. Two feet? Anyone willing to give some advice?
    Thanks in advance!
    Pam

1" 16ga. tube should work fine for what you want to do. As far as setting depth, it depends on where you are and your soil conditions. Any of the ways you suggested will work. If ease of removal and maintenance is key to you, then the sleeve in the ground is a good idea. Just make sure it is a tight fit so it doesn't wobble around a lot.

Cool

I make them from 1/2" sq solid bar that way i can twist some designs in the bar along the way. I make 4 sections on my bender and join them at the top in the center...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Smile Thanks

Thank you for the information. I was afraid I'd need heavier metal = greater cost= for these because they are so large. I may want to make the frame 1 1/2 inches just for a studier and more substantial look, but I know I can keep the guage that thin.

Is 2' long enough to anchor into the ground? Our soil is dense sandy soil.
    Thanks again!
    Pam

Again, setting depth will depend on your geographical location. As it would be best to set them in concrete it depends whether you are subject to frost heave or not. Don't know where you are so I can't say for sure. You might pose this question to your local farm store. They should be able to tell you the proper depth.

1 1/2 tube should certainly be substantial for an arbor. You might think about using 1 1/2 for the frame and 1" or smaller for the internal webbing. Might look more graceful.

Good luck.

Default Thanks, Sporty

Thank you for the additional information. We live in central California, so I don't have to worry about frozen soil, but the idea of checking with a farm expert is perfect! And, I agree about the need to use a smaller tube inside. I was planning to use 1 inch or so, so appreciate your reinforcing my idea there.
    Pam

I agree with Old Sporty;

1 1/2" for the frame will work fine, then I'd use smaller material for the interior work.

Personally, I'd use 1/2" square 16 ga for the internal structure..

In most cases ( assuming your not hanging a gate off of it) 2 feet deep will be just about right.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sporty View Post
    Again, setting depth will depend on your geographical location. As it would be best to set them in concrete it depends whether you are subject to frost heave or not. Don't know where you are so I can't say for sure. You might pose this question to your local farm store. They should be able to tell you the proper depth.

1 1/2 tube should certainly be substantial for an arbor. You might think about using 1 1/2 for the frame and 1" or smaller for the internal webbing. Might look more graceful.

Good luck.