Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Please tell me the double nut is for mock-up only...

You need positive retention hardware for this stuff Nick. That means self retaining bolts, castellated nuts with cotter pins, and safety wire. Otherwise I would make sure your life insurance is paid up so the wife and kids have something after you're gone.

Helo's do one thing better than vertical take offs - they vibrate like you would not believe. Loctite ain't gonna cut it on this one.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

I agree with FJ ( again!) i assumed your just mocking stuff up. If memory serves the book you want to reference (if you don't already know) is the AC 43.13 available for download from the EAA

http://www.experimental.ch/component...,15/Itemid,41/
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy Jim View Post
    Please tell me the double nut is for mock-up only...

You need positive retention hardware for this stuff Nick. That means self retaining bolts, castellated nuts with cotter pins, and safety wire. Otherwise I would make sure your life insurance is paid up so the wife and kids have something after you're gone.

Helo's do one thing better than vertical take offs - they vibrate like you would not believe. Loctite ain't gonna cut it on this one.
    Well Duh!.............yes, this is semi assembly as it will be taken apart and
    reassembled many times before final assembly.
    Nick

PS.........if the heli vibrates, there will be other problems as well. Everything has to be balanced.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Nick, ALL helicopters vibrate! It's the nature of the beast. The rotor head has so much going on in it, that it wiggles from simple inertia of the parts changing direction (the blades must change pitch independently or you wouldn't be able to steer).

If I was on a chopper that stopped vibrating, I would bend over and kiss my azz goodbye - cause that would be very, VERY bad.

A fixed wing aircraft is just losing that new plane stink at 3000hrs, while a helo is about ready for the bone yard.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Smith O/A rig

This unit has no collective. Rotors are fixed pitch and can't be changed during flight. Altitude is achieved by rpm. Direction is through weight shift or rotor tilt.
    They will flex some though.
    Last edited by monte55; 09-16-2008 at 03:41 PM.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Propane Forge

A fully articulating rotor system it is not. There will be no leading, lagging or aerodynamic feathering here. I worked on helo's for eight years, and have over 2500 hours in Blackhawks and you definitely need safeties on that hardware for sure; ESPECIALLY on anything that rotates. You might want to just put a seal on the top of that oil reservoir and then put enough volume in it so the spider gears will contact it when it is at full RPM. You can figure the fluid volume simply by measuring the diameter and height of the tank, measure the distance of the spider gears from the inside diameter of the tank and subtracting the two (remember to add to that distance how much of the spider gear you want to be in contact with the oil. You will need a seal for sure though as those gears will be slinging that oil everywhere regardless. Itís an interesting idea, but having seen firsthand the results of several helo crashes youíll definitely want that insurance policy paid up.

I'm thinking about installing a rubber seal on top of the brass ring that hugs the non rotating shaft so I can have more lube to keep in contact with the gears. The original version of this unit flew quite a bit with totally exposed gears but since has enclosed them. All hardware will be safety wired upon final assembly. This is a heli that will mainly hover in ground effect but will go much higher. There is a direct relationship between ba!!s and height flown.
    The man who flew his flew his about 20-25 feet agl judging by the videos.
    No safety there Have you seen his videos? Pretty cool. Back in the 70s
    I was going to build the Choppy but realized I didn't have the tools, knowledge etc. But, I did read a lot on fully articulating rotor heads and thought "what genius" and what effects and problems. I learned a lot from a Scorpion I bought, rebuilt some but never flew. Sold it and got a Cessna 150
    and got my licence. I love this stuff!!!!!!!!! Did you pilot or ride for 2500 hours? Are you an A&P on helis...................Nick
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Propane Forge

those hours were spent in the back manning the 60 or the 134 and conducting slingload ops. I managed a bit of stick time (off the books of course) and I went back to school to become an engineer afterward so I never bothered to test for my A & P though the thought occasionally still crosses my mind. I miss the flying for sure, and the guys (Army aviation is chock full of wonderfully whacko folks), but the Army... Not so much

Mark

Keep posting up the pics. I'm curious to see how this turns out.

Oh come on, you miss charlie company 1/222.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Smith O/A rig

I've made a few air tanks to hold nitrogen/co2 for the air shifters on both drag bikes and a few rail cars. I just ground the outter edge of teh disk in about 1/2 way at a ~608 angle and then took a porting tool and made a slight taper in the inside edge of the tubing as well. So far they have held 140psi with no issues, i think it will contain your oil easily, just double echeck for pin holes before putting it into service.
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Smith MB55A-510 O/A setup
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Just about every other hand tool you can imagine