Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default chop/cut off saw

I was planning on picking up a chop saw and was looking at the Milwaukee
    14" abrasive cut off saw at HD, when the fellow there sugested the RIGID 14" abrasive cut off machine. It seems to have the same spec as the Milwaukee and it now has a lifetime warranty according to the guy I was talking to. The box still said 3 year but he said there was paper work that now comes with it that extends the warranty. The RIGID one is model number CM1450, it has a "D" handle on it which I like. Does anyone have any knowledge about this unit, or any others I should be looking at? The reason I was looking at the Milwaukee to begin with was I have 2 drills and a recip saw that are Milwaukee and they have never let me down.

thanks in advance for any help/oppinions.

Lifetime warranty?! yeesh! make sure the paperwork says that !!!!
    thing I like about the home depot one now (after I had the older model), is that they have a quick release clamp to change your angles, instead of having to use a wrench for the 2 bolts!!!
    good luck!
    *note*: If you have a few more hundred dollars, go to steelmax.com
    and check out: products>metal cutting saws. I bought the s14 and it cuts
    SOOO much better than an abrasive blade (that tends to bend, making it hard to get good 45 degree cuts and you cut touch the metal immediately after you cut it).
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

I bought 2 chop saws in

'99 1 Makita from central Texas Tool Supply and one Chicago Electric from Harbor freight and the el cheapo from HF is still working the other died 2 years ago.
    Martin
    Welding Technician
    AWS Certified Welding Inspector
    AWS Certified Welding Educator
    ASNT ACCP Level II VT/GI/D
    www.linkedin.com/pub/martin-cramer/20/b36/940/

WOW!! CHEAPO is still working???!!!! DARN!! usually they last 5 cuts!!!

Martin/MWCCI, intrested in the welding trailer rigs? I found some of the old threads (went to the search and typed in "welding trailers")
    here are some of them:
    1) "Ideas I am building a welding trailer" by Snyder253 6-18-07
    2) "Plans" by mark4561 3-28-07
    3) "Welding trailer and flat bed trailer" by terry welds 3-26-07
    4) New welder new project" by hit_em 3-19-07

this way, you can e-mail/post to those guys also for any more questions you may have....

hope this helps,
    bert
    I'm not late...

I got the Millwaukie and it is made in China so you don't need to feel guilty if you don't buy it....the neatest thing I like about it is the vice swivel right and left ....can't say "bout the Rigid.
    Go to Bullet Industries .com and get their 14" carbide blade rated for high speed chop saws on steel and you will have the best of both worlds then! I use a 12" Freud non-ferrous on mine and it works AWSOME!!
    Last edited by FusionKing; 07-15-2007 at 06:29 PM.

Any opinions between the DeWalt multi-cutter and Milwaukee's version? Both are about the same price locally.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    WOW!! CHEAPO is still working???!!!! DARN!! usually they last 5 cuts!!!

Martin/MWCCI, intrested in the welding trailer rigs? I found some of the old threads (went to the search and typed in "welding trailers")
    here are some of them:
    1) "Ideas I am building a welding trailer" by Snyder253 6-18-07
    2) "Plans" by mark4561 3-28-07
    3) "Welding trailer and flat bed trailer" by terry welds 3-26-07
    4) New welder new project" by hit_em 3-19-07

this way, you can e-mail/post to those guys also for any more questions you may have....

hope this helps,
    bert
    Bert,I thanked you in the other thread. My intrest is that I've allready built several. How it started for years I kept my Lincoln Ranger 8 on T-axle, then in '99 in preparation for my move to Indiana I built an encloser around it and this inspired two buddies in Texas to have me duplicate for them. Since I've been in Indiana I've made to more variations of my rigs trailer, only with-out the welder, one guy is selling tennis-shoes out of his and the other guy carries athlectic equipment in his.
    I never thought of taking picture of it. When I get an opportunity I'll shoot a few shoots to post for comparison. Bert - Thanks again.
    Last edited by mwccwi; 07-15-2007 at 07:12 PM.
    Martin
    Welding Technician
    AWS Certified Welding Inspector
    AWS Certified Welding Educator
    ASNT ACCP Level II VT/GI/D
    www.linkedin.com/pub/martin-cramer/20/b36/940/

very cool, you're welcome...
    I'm not late...

I bought a Dewalt D28715 from HomeDepot this weekend for $129! I can't find it online for less than $219. I don't know why it was so cheap. It was not a special or anything like that. Combine that with a rebate I found online for a free grinder and I say that is a deal that can not be beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy Jim View Post
    Any opinions between the DeWalt multi-cutter and Milwaukee's version? Both are about the same price locally.
    We have one of the Dewalt multicutters at work and it is great. Clamp is adjustable for wider stock. Degree markings leave a bit to be desired(but most do) but I always use an angle gauge or trisquare irregardless for more accurate angles. Did a ton of 45 miter cuts on it and when I tacked project together I barely had to make any adjustments at all before welding.