Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Vassalboro ME.(summer) & Yuma AZ. (winter)

Default Need help on how to stick weld aluminum

Need a little help from anyone who has stick welded aluminum. Have a 1'X1'X 1/4" base plate. To be welded on a 2"X2"X3/16" square aluminum 18 feet long. Have alot of past welding experiance,but not in stick welding aluminum. Anyone out there who could help me in welding this project. I know mig or tig is the prefered way to do this job,but all I have an arc welder AC / DC stright /DC reverse. Any help would be greatly appricated. Thanks Maineiac
    Last edited by Maineiac; 09-01-2008 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Made a mistake in the title

Practice on a similar joint. The rods will consume very quickly, I've always used a pronounced weave, progress fairly quick, and you'll never see the puddle as there is a lot of slag/smoke and things are happening quickly. I run them at smoking hot heat levels.

Once you get it, you just trust that you're moving along correctly.

I've made a lot of repairs in the field on aluminum castings and tanks with stick, on construction sites where a field expedient repair keeps production rolling along as opposed to taking the equipment out of service, hauling it to a (far away) town for a proper tig repair.

Once you figure it out they run pretty easy and look very slick.

JTMcC.
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

What is the lightest material you can run them on?

Repair of corroded thru/leaking alu tanks is where I learned to run them and those are very, very thin.

Having a small can of alu rod on the truck, and being able to use it, gives you "hero" status at least a couple of times per year.

JTMcC.

Like 1/8" or are we talking 16 gauge thin?
    What diameter rods were you using?

Stick aluminum is something I'd like to add to my bag of tricks!
    at home:
    2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
    2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin FOR SALE
    2008 Suitcase 12RC
    Spoolmatic 30A
    WC-24
    2009 Dynasty 200DX
    2000 XMT 304
    2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Sold:MM130XP
    Sold:MM 251
    Sold:CST 280

at work:
    Invision 350MP
    Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Yes, I have a bunch of 16 ga alum pipe, the wire feed says its good down to 14 but I routinely do the 16 with it with careful fit and sometimes fitting with a socket style connection, but there is an occasional crack or even a hole, might be able to put a heavy washer over the hole to help with heat sink. At home its no big deal to remove the equipment and get it to the shop but I have some stuff that is in the field on rare occasions. I was interested in torch welding some of it, never tried that either but see some stuff from Aero and a couple guys here that looks pretty good. Would be a thing of beauty if it would work? can you run a light stripper kind of pass over it first? I do that with the feeder on real thin work then come back to make it strong and liquid tight.

Pretty thin, I'd guess equal to or less than 16 ga. 1/8" rod.
    I would of never even messed with the stuff, but a good friend (superintendant for a worldwide construction company who sent very large amounts of work my way and treated me like the prince I think I am) ask me if I'd try fixing a leak in this little alu water tank on their trailer mounted power washer. Any tank thats corroded or worn thru is paper thin at the failure site and hopefully you can find just a bit of meat to weld to close by.
    They had a pinhole leak, I tried welding it and blew out a hole you could throw a dead cat thru ; )
    I wasn't about to let old Mr. Redd down, so I messed with it and messed with it until it finally clicked and I ran a pretty neat patch over the hole.
    Mr. Redd gave me about 20 lbs of alu stick rod because as he said "nobody else can run it anyway" and that's why I had to learn the stuff.
    It's paid off in large amounts of good will.
    I'm well aware it's not the prefered repair method but when you fix a broken piece of alu out in the sticks, for a foreman who REALLY needs the piece right now, you have a friend for life. You can't buy advertising like that.
    I welded a massive (over 12" long) crack in the bellhousing of my old '91 Dodge with a Cummins/5 speed, out in the fab yard, with the stuff and it's still trucking along out there in central northern Arizona, the Cummins was turned up well beyond common sense and had enought torque that it broke 2 or 3 bellhousing bolts per month. It broke a lot of other parts as well, but that's another story.
    So I keep it on my truck now for those rare occasions when some sad faced dude walks up and ask's "you can't weld aluminum can you"? Just to see them light up when I say "maybe, let me see what you got". ; )

I run it downhill in the vertical position. And I stick weld for a livelyhood so I'm not scared of thin material.

JTMcC.

Thanks, thats been a little persuasion to give it a try. I will look for some electrodes, you run them on RP or straight?

Vassalboro ME.(summer) & Yuma AZ. (winter)

The aluminum arc rod # is 4043, 1/8 Dia. DC reverse polarity. You can ask the welding saleman if there is something out there that is better than this rod for stick welding. Maineiac

I just start the machine, that (to me) means DC reverse or positive stinger.

I buy mine from Ram Welding Supply, they are the internet arm of Fresno Oxygen and have very good prices on quite a few things that I use.

Everybody and their brother will tell you you can't make a decent weld with alu stick rod. If you take the time to learn, (I spent about 30 frustrating minutes), you really can and all those guys will give you more credit than you deserve.
    It's not hard, it's just different.
    When you figure it out, that stuff runs so slick people will think you tig'd it.

JTMcC