Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face Building the famous table

Well I used to weld back in high school and I was good at.... long time ago, then I saw someone at work welding with a MIG (I used the stick back in high school), well he let me weld a piece of scrap metal and first I was feeling strange using only one hand to do the job but anyway after a few tries I was rock n rolling. I'm building a small table and I find out is not easy to find a steel supply... well Lowes and Home Depot sales that but kind of expensive I think, for example 1/8" x 1" x 1" is about $1.90, not sure how much I will save if I find a supplier since I will not buy too much steel. Anywat I will take some pictures of the table sson I'm done.

You might try a local welding shop. Sometimes a larger one will stock steel for sale to home users. I sometimes buy steel from such a local shop in my area.
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Also check your local scrap or salvage yard.. often they will have a piece that will work just fine, even though its not new.
    Read or submit reviews of Lincoln, Hobart and Miller Welders atThe Welder Shop.

I saw some nice framing from a desk kind of thing in the scrap yard the other day, would have been perfect for home bench with slight modification. One of the skills a home/hobby type should develop is the art of salvage, saves a lot of money and work.

Finish the table, the picture is kind of dark, I used my phone to take the picture
    Attached Images Attached Images

looks like a nice, functional, table

having the fire extinguisher close by is a good idea.
    my only comment might be that mounting it so that it
    is on the 'outside' of the table might mean that you'll bang
    into it a bunch as you walk around the table, drag cables, and
    so on -- possibly knocking it out of the cradle -- after all,
    they are made to make it easy to remove the extinguisher :-)

good job
    frank

Default metal supply

There's gotta be a metal supply store in your area. Here in San Diego, they're like 7/11's. Check your phone book and Home Depot metal is way overpriced!!!
    Millermatic 210
    Syncrowave 200
    Spectrum 625 X-treme
    Hobart Champion 16 W/
    Miller 8VS Suitcase
    Miller 3035 Spool Gun
    Tons of Tools
    Microwave
    Laptop and Printer
    Speakers in the Back for all to hear Sirius Radio!

Quote Originally Posted by lanceman73 View Post
    There's gotta be a metal supply store in your area. Here in San Diego, they're like 7/11's. Check your phone book and Home Depot metal is way overpriced!!!
    I found a steel supplier, about 40 miles from me but I had a job (computer stuff) around that area and my brother-in-law told me to stop there, 2 plates of 1/4" (about 2'x2') cut for me was $48.

Quote Originally Posted by fjk View Post
    looks like a nice, functional, table

having the fire extinguisher close by is a good idea.
    my only comment might be that mounting it so that it
    is on the 'outside' of the table might mean that you'll bang
    into it a bunch as you walk around the table, drag cables, and
    so on -- possibly knocking it out of the cradle -- after all,
    they are made to make it easy to remove the extinguisher :-)

good job
    frank
    I couldn't decide if should be inside or outside but then I decided to keep outside. I don't move the table with the cables hanging around. Now I have the table done I have no idea what I should do

There are few retailers online, you can order it up and have it delivered to your door in a day or two. Prices are reasonable as well.
    John

Millermatic DVI
    Millermatic 375 xtreme
    And a brand new Syncro 200!!!