Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

OK, I've been going back too far in diagrams, you still have 2 boards, one is a voltage field board, the other being the idle. The idle board in question may not look like a circuit card (over serial# JH300534), rather it will be a little 1 1/2"x 1 1/2" red (or black) module with 6 terminals on it. I'm looking at the unit in front of me. It is attached under the lifting eye support, Can't miss it. You'll have to order one from a repair facility part #142725

If the unit is below JH300534, it would use a circuit board which is no longer available, so what you'd get upon ordering is the 142725 module to replace it which lists out at $94US
    Last edited by cruizer; 09-02-2008 at 10:16 AM.

Well I will be eating crow tonight for supper, it will be well done. You were right all along I found a circuit board when I was looking for the black box you in your last post. I will make no excuse for not seeing it, but it was in a tight spot. I also saw the finger heat sink on the c/b with two, what the parts breakwown calles a thyristor scr 8 amp 600 volts. Should I change these two components, first? If that isn't the problem then change out the black module 114 158 with the 6 connections. Don't giveup on me, looks like you are my only hope. stan

OK, I'm working off a couple of computers right now, so bare with me.

You want to check CB4, thats the breaker going to the throttle solinoid,

You want to check if CR2 is closing. It's coil is connected to "C" & "E" off the idle module

To test the coil and throttle solinoid remove "C" from its connector and apply 12 Vdc to that relay terminal.

You also want to verify that "B" is hot (12Vdc) all the time after the engine is running
    Sounds like the Module is hooped though

******Leave the field circuit board alone******

I have a similar unit that wont idle down in weld mode. Solenoid works fine of course but what should I be testing on the idle board? Engine surges as well but welds ok and I get 120 volts out of generator.

Default Legend

Your machine is a 1988 AEAD200LE, I believe. There should be two boards in the machine, each about 3" by 6". One is the regulator and the other is idle control. These can be repaired or replaced. The solenoid is fed through a circuit breaker. Your welder has the Onan B48M, right? Idle solenoid is round, about 1 1/2" in diameter and 5" long? weldersales

Default Legend

Sorry guys, did not see there was a second page to this thread. Did not mean to jump in the middle. weldersales

Quote Originally Posted by weldersales View Post
    Your machine is a 1988 AEAD200LE, I believe. There should be two boards in the machine, each about 3" by 6". One is the regulator and the other is idle control. These can be repaired or replaced. The solenoid is fed through a circuit breaker. Your welder has the Onan B48M, right? Idle solenoid is round, about 1 1/2" in diameter and 5" long? weldersales
    Yes, mine actually serial numbers to 1985 but all of the above is correct. Onan b48m engine. serial jg021098. Has about 1037 hours. Wont idle down and surges under 1800 rpm no load. Tried loading with heaters and didnt help though I only had two 1500 watt to plug in. Also cant figure out where batt charging voltage comes from. Off the Idle board? Seems that way looking at circuit diagram but those are pretty greek to me. Also under the solenoid there is a small unit that is not used on my machine, looking like a vacuume device of some kind. Not plugged in. Cant find anything like it on the drawings. Thanks, Steve
    Last edited by boattrash; 09-03-2008 at 12:34 PM.

Yes, the JG serial will have 2 boards, anything above JH will have a board and a module.

Order the idle board and you'll get a module, and as I mentioned it lists out at $94.

The idle board is under the front face of the carrying hook looking at the front face of the welder

Cruiser. I took all the info you gave me on what to check. I reattached the circuit board I told you I didn't have. I fired the welder up, and struck a arc, and it reved up to welding rpm. I used it almost three hours with no problems. Then for no reason the same problem came back (no welding rpm) Since the covers were still off I tapped the panel that held the two relays, and the circuit board, the black box with the 6 connections, it started working again. that means I have the problem narrowed down. I am going to use it agoain tomorrow. The board may have a bad connection, or one of the relays isn't working like it should? As long as it is working I need to get some repairs done. Thanks for your help. Stan

Had to be one of the little sealed relays sticking, any automotive parts place will carry them (under 10 bucks) Tapping the 6 wire module, won't do anything