Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Dump Trailer Plans Wanted

Hi everyone... New to this site and new to welding..
    Now that I am retired :-) I would like to build a small dump trailer with a max capacity of 5-7,000 lbs.

Thinking of using two 3500lb axles W/elec. brks. Not sure if I will use a winch or piston for the dump.

I am in need of some basic plans that I can modify to fit my requirements. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks...

Cool

You will have a sub frame which will look like a trailer with a box on top that is hinged. The best thing to do is drive around and look at a couple and get some mental drawings. There are plans out there do a google search and they should be there...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Find one of the places that fit pickup trucks with dump beds and see how they have done it.

Jerry

Just some thoughts on dump trailers...

Up until about a month ago we had a tandem 7K, 14yd3 unit until someone decided they needed it more than we did, but that's another story. (that's what State Farm is for!)

One thing about ours that I absolutely couldn't stand was that the manufacturers put a length of angle at the back to cap off the floor plate. It's good for structure, but the 1/8 lip was constantly catching material when dumping. So make sure you have a smooth travel path for debris. (I was almost to the point of putting a new floor in, and that lip was going to be the first thing to go).

If you are going to be loading it with equipment, you might think about building the box to be full width over the wheels. Ours was an inside the wheel design and my bucket would just barely dump when I was loading at the axles.

Originally, ours had an on board battery that was charged from the tow vehicle or shop charger. That lasted for about six months and I ripped that out and put a stinger line to the back of the truck and used 100+amp electric forklift battery quick connects to power the electro-hydraulics from the truck. It also cuts down on the number of people wanting to borrow it.

hope this helps some,
    SSS

Default plans

Need more info on the project in able to give more info about project.
    Dimensions?
    Height?
    Barn doors?
    etc...etc...etc...
    Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by retired View Post
    Hi everyone... New to this site and new to welding..
    Now that I am retired :-) I would like to build a small dump trailer with a max capacity of 5-7,000 lbs.

Thinking of using two 3500lb axles W/elec. brks. Not sure if I will use a winch or piston for the dump.

I am in need of some basic plans that I can modify to fit my requirements. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks...
    Hello: when i built my dump trailer i got my plans from northerntool.com
    under trailer plans

Smile

hello: when i built my dump trailer i got the plans from northerntool.com under trailer plans