Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Chris*** - Just a question. Why do you have to roll the rings in halves?

Thanks.

With pretty much any 3 point roller you end up with a flat on the beginning and end of the raw stock which accounts for the distance between the center and outside roll. You can roll the ring to compensate for the excess, or you can roll it to diameter and half it like Chris does.

If you don't mind 2 seams, Chris's way is faster and easier. Especially with thicker material, you end up fighting it when you reach diameter with the excess for the ends.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

You can roll some stock with one seam, like the wheel I made from 1" round tube for my roller. Stock like this has enough spring to it that you can pull it to the side of the machine to complete the circle.

Like Jim said, 5" flat bar doesn't have a lot of give, so I did it in halves.

I was originally going to have another fabricator (who has MUCH more experience than I do) roll these up for me. We talked about it and he said he would probably do it in halves for the same reasons. He also mentioned that the end result would have a truer radius. With more projects lining up, I decided to make my own roller, but I still took his advice and did it in halves.

I'm not sure if I could have done it in one piece. It's too late to find out for this job.
    Maxstar 200DX
    Maxstar 300DX
    Dynasty 200DX
    Passport
    Spectrum 701
    LMSW-52 spot welder

You have to have the stock cut to length which includes the "Flats" at each end.

Example: 6" Ring
    Circumference = 18.84

then add however much material is taken up by the Flat at each end by the type of roller you are using.

So if it is 2" then the stock is cut to 22.84"

Place the stock in the roller like in the Photo, apply a little pressure, roll through one way till you reach the "Flat", apply pressure, roll it back.

Repeat until you have the ring size. Towards the end you'll have to nudge the ends so the flats over lap until the "Flats" match up. remove and cut the flats off.

Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    You have to have the stock cut to length which includes the "Flats" at each end.

Example: 6" Ring
    Circumference = 18.84

then add however much material is taken up by the Flat at each end by the type of roller you are using.

So if it is 2" then the stock is cut to 22.84"

Place the stock in the roller like in the Photo, apply a little pressure, roll through one way till you reach the "Flat", apply pressure, roll it back.

Repeat until you have the ring size. Towards the end you'll have to nudge the ends so the flats over lap until the "Flats" match up. remove and cut the flats off.

Good explanation.
    Now someone show me a picture with some 5" x 1/8" (or equivalent) material.
    Maxstar 200DX
    Maxstar 300DX
    Dynasty 200DX
    Passport
    Spectrum 701
    LMSW-52 spot welder

Quote Originally Posted by chris***@sbcglo View Post
    Good explanation.
    Now someone show me a picture with some 5" x 1/8" (or equivalent) material.
    Don't bother. I'll post them myself.

Ed, I don't like you anymore and you're not welcome to S.D.

Funny thing (in a not so funny kind of way) is that I've made countless tables before that required skirts and I always rolled them in one piece. In fact, I was planning on rolling these the exact same way I've always done in the past, which was in one piece. So, I make my own d@mn roller for wider, heavier material and I've lost all my marbles somewhere along the way. I actually took the last six months "off" because of the "accident", and my wife always says I haven't been the same.

Excuse me while I throw this project in to the recylcing bin along with taking a plasma torch to my roller. One person says it should be rolled in two parts, and I'm a lemming.

I've gotta go and do twice the work I should be doing

I'm really mad at myself.
    Maxstar 200DX
    Maxstar 300DX
    Dynasty 200DX
    Passport
    Spectrum 701
    LMSW-52 spot welder

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sporty View Post
    Chris*** - Just a question. Why do you have to roll the rings in halves?

Thanks.
    ... because I like to make extra work for myself.

I'm an idiot.
    Maxstar 200DX
    Maxstar 300DX
    Dynasty 200DX
    Passport
    Spectrum 701
    LMSW-52 spot welder

Chris-

Sorry wasn't trying say you can roll yer 5" this was- just trying to show the Flat areas that happen when rolling material in these style Rollers.

Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Chris-

Sorry wasn't trying say you can roll yer 5" this was- just trying to show the Flat areas that happen when rolling material in these style Rollers.

No, I'm serious. I already rolled one in one piece. I really am an idiot.
    I'll post pics later.

I quit.
    Maxstar 200DX
    Maxstar 300DX
    Dynasty 200DX
    Passport
    Spectrum 701
    LMSW-52 spot welder

Quote Originally Posted by chris***@sbcglo View Post
    No, I'm serious. I already rolled one in one piece. I really am an idiot.
    I'll post pics later.

I quit.
    Don't worry, it takes our kids at least till they are 4 to realize it
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender