Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

My technique has always been to measure out and mark the circumference on the material and leave enough for tails, then roll it till the lines are close enough together.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Chris - That's the reason I asked. I've always rolled in one piece and accounted for the flats as Broccoli said. Just thought I might learn a new and better way of doing it.

Thanks.

I've always done the same thing for one piece, too. In fact, all my planning was to do this project with one piece rings, just like every other freakin' ring I've ever rolled. Then somewhere along the way I lost my mind and listened to someone who would have done them in two halves. In fact, I even had the material all scribed up for one piece.
    At go time, I cut everything in half, and the rest is my PITA.

I'm so beside myself I want to cut these ones up, buy new material and start over. Anyone want a roller?

I need to take another six months off... ... but I gotta eat.

I'm done posting. You'll all never hear from me again.
    Maxstar 200DX
    Maxstar 300DX
    Dynasty 200DX
    Passport
    Spectrum 701
    LMSW-52 spot welder

I will say this: it was tough to get the one piece ring out of the roller, and with material 3/16" and up, one would have to remove the top roller to get the ring out, or you're in for a fight.

I swear I've lost my mind.
    Maxstar 200DX
    Maxstar 300DX
    Dynasty 200DX
    Passport
    Spectrum 701
    LMSW-52 spot welder

Don't be so hard on yourself. You did something new and made it work didn't you?

As for the ring roller, PM me and we'll make arrangements for the transfer.

Default more pics, finally

Hello everyone.
    I've been real busy, so I'm finally getting around to posting some more pictures (if anyone really cares).

1 and 2) Jigged up for welding the vertical tubes. The tubes are 3" x .120 wall. I had the 3/8" plate waterjet for a press fit so I could do the welds on the underside. I used this table to jig it all up square.

3) This is how the underside of the stands looks. Basically this is what I see before I weld the tubes. No one will see any of this, except some bugs or really small people.

4) Welded. All of these welds were done as jigged up, so it was good practice for OOP stuff. Although, it seems that most of my work is OOP.

5) Zipped up. I needed full 60" lengths which I got from 20' pieces. The ends of each 20 footer were creased as you can see in the photograph. I put it towards the backside and the pictures shows it to be much worse than it is in real time. No big deal.

Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Maxstar 200DX
    Maxstar 300DX
    Dynasty 200DX
    Passport
    Spectrum 701
    LMSW-52 spot welder

1) Stacked up. There were eight of these in total.

2) I TIG welded the seams of the skirt and buffed them out. I can control the fill better with a TIG weld so there's less post-weld grinding on a joint like this. I just welded these up as they sat stacked on the cart in the previous pictures. Not the prettiest welds, but I was cruizin' for speed and gettin' er done.

3) Mounting plate welded across the tubes. This will receive another bracket from which the monitor will hang.

All in all, this project came out pretty well. It wasn't my design, but I was happy to oblige. I'll try to get some pictures as they sit painted and installed once the building is finished. I'm just glad they're gone and I can move on to the next project.

Thnaks for looking.
    Maxstar 200DX
    Maxstar 300DX
    Dynasty 200DX
    Passport
    Spectrum 701
    LMSW-52 spot welder

Lightbulb For Broccoli

Quote Originally Posted by chris***@sbcglo View Post
    Don't bother. I'll post them myself.
    ...sometimes the bear eats you.

1, 2, 3) One piece ring. Ahhhh, geeeeez.
    Last edited by chrisgay@sbcglo; 09-17-2008 at 01:48 AM.
    Maxstar 200DX
    Maxstar 300DX
    Dynasty 200DX
    Passport
    Spectrum 701
    LMSW-52 spot welder

I think they turned out pretty good.

Are the seams at the edge of the plate/rings going to be left visible, or will those be filled by the painter?
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy Jim View Post
    Are the seams at the edge of the plate/rings going to be left visible, or will those be filled by the painter?
    The skirt was tucked under the edge of the plate by 3/16", so the seam won't be visible unless you're less than 5" tall.

Glad it's done.
    Maxstar 200DX
    Maxstar 300DX
    Dynasty 200DX
    Passport
    Spectrum 701
    LMSW-52 spot welder