Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default What type of tube should I use?

Hi I am looking to build a mini sand rail / off road buggy and wanted to see what the best tube to use for the frame. i.e. diameter, thickness etc....

What is schedule 40 tube? I am pretty new to this, but want to make sure this guy is strong.

And if anyone has any plans I would be super interested.

Mahalo,

Are you serious about this project or are you just looking to make a cool looking buggy and go bounce over some dunes? If you want to get into real racing, they should have a tech book with all the MINIMUMS. Follow or exceed those and you'll be fine. Assuming you can make sound welds in the given material.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Do a google for Berrien buggy or other off-road buggy and their site will probably give some material standards.

IIRC, you can buy a knock-down chassis a bunch cheaper than you could build it.

PROBABLY built out of 1.5" .095 wall HREW tube, or thereabouts.

Schedule 40 refers to pipe, and I would consider it too heavy and many off-roaders consider it a definite no-no to build chassis out of pipe.

-James

Yup, about like building a trailer, unless I had it all for free and then some most of the time you can buy it cheaper and better with the engineering thrown in for free.

Yup, 1.5"x.095 and 1"x.065 HREW tubing on full size sand rails. Use 1.25"x.095 on the mini's

1.75"x.120 DOM for rock buggys

Last edited by TS-Off-Road; 08-26-2008 at 04:06 PM.

Thanks you guys! This is going to be just a hobby product to hit the dunes with. Thanks for the pic, ideally I would like to make something of that caliber!

Mahalo,

in all seriousness It's not only cheeper to buy the frame prefabed but it's also safer. Proper fit-up of the parts, welds, layout of gussets.

I personally can build just about anything from a picture or a print and knowing what is involved in setting this up so you are not fighting the tubes as you're trying to place and weld them. I'd build a huge fixture and use it to clamp everything up then tack and weld. Then I'd have all the tooling to go in to business for myself supplying frames. NO THANKS. I'll just hand Chenowth 5K and call it good for a rolling chassis.

I'm not trying to discourage you I just want you to fully understand what you are getting in to.
    Kerry
    Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
    Millermatic 252 on the wish list
    Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
    South bend lathe 10LX40
    K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
    Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
    A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
    Auto shades are for rookies
    www.KLStottlemyer.com

I got a Bud has something like that, maybe some V6 in it? But he scrounge it all together right at about 20K but its nice. In this economy I would look at buying used, ha, Some guy put heart and sole into it and has to part with it for 8K. I got the stuff and you dont see me putting the commitment into something like that. Even copying one to the letter would take substantial effort, makes buying a frame more attractive.

Get a hold of a VW bug
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus