Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question need help with a subaru fuel problem ???

i seem to have hit a snag with the wife's car. 1993 subaru legacy. its fuel pump seems to be going in and out ?? one day its fine the next it wont pump ??? i was told it could be a relay that tells the pump the car started so it continues to pump fuel or that the car did not start so it stops the pump. problem is no one seems to be able to tell me where this relay is located ??? the pump is going to be $130 so i don't want to get a pump just to find out thats not the problem and i waisted $130.
    any one have a car like this or have a clue where to find the relay ?? or maybe that it could only be the relay if the car starts but then ides ?? do you know if the relay is bad would it not let the pump start when the key is put into the access position ??
    i opened it up to get access to the pump only to have it working fine ??? so i closed it up used the car for 2 days and now its not working again ?? as you can suspect i don't want to send the wife off in it acting like this or even have my family in the car as we could all end up stranded.
    any help would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks
    James
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

switch the relay with another, If that isn't it...It wouldn't be uncommon for the fuel pump to be bad, My sisters car did the same sortof thing before it inally died. 130.00 isn't that bad of a price.
    MM 211 W/ Spoolgun
    Diversion 180
    Spectrum 375 X-TREME
    Portable Victor O/A
    Palmgren Bench Drill Press
    14" Evolution Dry Saw
    IR 60 Gal. 3 HP Compressor
    Speedglas 9100x
    My Brain

James, If I'm not mistaken the relays are up under the dash board on the left side of the steering column. I believe you may have to unbolt the fuse box and let it hang to get to the relays. As was mentioned in the post above there should be a couple of other relays that will interchange with the fuel pump relay, swap them around and see if the problem continues.

I don't really think it is a relay problem though, normally a relay is good or it isn't. I would look more at the filter or pick up tube for blockage, also I have seen some pumps that will work intermittently such as you describe. Another thing to check is your fuel cap, if the vent is plugged it will make the car vapor lock and give the same symptoms. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Default F4n

what I would do , see if there is juice goinng to the pump , when it wont start , if there is, also make sure it has a good ground , if it is in the working mode right now , find out which connections are hot , mark them down on paper , so you don't second guess yourself , now you will know exactly what has to be energized to be in the working mode , a lot of times I do this with just one of those cheap testers , { aligator clip , 3 feet of wire and a test probe with a pointed end ** always check to be sure that the tester has a good ground, lastly if you are still unable to locate the relay, swing by the sabru dealership , lunch time or quiting time , you may get lucky , the mechanic may tell exactly were they are , or some problems that are common to those vehicles , hope that helps , Frank

i talked to the subaru guys, they could not tell me where the relay was ?? the mechanic was even nice enough to go to the parts guy to help him find it so i could look at it's $$ to possibly replace it first, then if problem persist, change out fuel pump. long and short of it is they could not locate the part to even get me a # or $$. seems the mechanic working on the car would locate the relay then take it to the parts guy who would get #'s from the bad one to get him a new one ?????? thats just great.
    well i broke out the meeter wile it was in the broken mode and did a little testing and i have momentary power to the pump and no running pump today any way. so it looks like i will be replacing the pump. i would have tested early-er, but it was working, so no way to trouble shoot some thing thats working.
    so now i have 3 snapped off bolts and one striped out nut head. so much for a simple pump replacement. this will add to the fun, so i'm pumping out the fuel now.
    thanks for the help every one.
    soon this will all be cleared up and i may get some time to get back on here to play again soon.
    i been dealing with the broken car and my truck problem. as well as building a addition on for my 2nd son before # 3 gets here this winter.been bizy and paying for it.things have slowed down a little bit, or at-least enough to take a small break between problems.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

The instruction manual will sometimes show the relays, if not, a good service manual will. Relays are typically located in the engine compartment fuse box. That being said, my not so educated advice would be to look at your fuel filter, it is probably clogged. Usually they are located on the fuel pump for injected cars.

John
    John

Millermatic DVI
    Millermatic 375 xtreme
    And a brand new Syncro 200!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    i seem to have hit a snag with the wife's car. 1993 subaru legacy. its fuel pump seems to be going in and out ?? one day its fine the next it wont pump ??? i was told it could be a relay that tells the pump the car started so it continues to pump fuel or that the car did not start so it stops the pump. problem is no one seems to be able to tell me where this relay is located ??? the pump is going to be $130 so i don't want to get a pump just to find out thats not the problem and i waisted $130.
    any one have a car like this or have a clue where to find the relay ?? or maybe that it could only be the relay if the car starts but then ides ?? do you know if the relay is bad would it not let the pump start when the key is put into the access position ??
    i opened it up to get access to the pump only to have it working fine ??? so i closed it up used the car for 2 days and now its not working again ?? as you can suspect i don't want to send the wife off in it acting like this or even have my family in the car as we could all end up stranded.
    any help would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks
    James
    I have read ( but never tried) that Subaru has a good on-line technical reference site. You might Google and see if you can find it.

I have not worked on Subarus but the problem you describe does not fit a pump being bad. Pumps usually do not come and go. They just go.

HTH
    Griff

Exclamation

griff01
    but the problem you describe does not fit a pump being bad. Pumps usually do not come and go. They just go.

thats what i thought too. but the subaru service guy said its common with their's ????? maybe its a subaru thing?? LOL...well not really that funny from here, but you get the idea.

I have read ( but never tried) that Subaru has a good on-line technical reference site. You might Google and see if you can find it.

its $39.95 for a 72Hr trial use, don't know what long term access is ?? used to be you could call up a dealer and they would help you out. the parts guy actually told me they have done all they are payed to do, i should bring it in.
    love the car not so happy with the parts department.

projectwelder
    The instruction manual will sometimes show the relays, if not, a good service manual will. Relays are typically located in the engine compartment fuse box. That being said, my not so educated advice would be to look at your fuel filter, it is probably clogged. Usually they are located on the fuel pump for injected cars.

there is a hole block of relays under the hood but nothing that has anything fuel related marked on it????? they look like a big black square fuse, about 3/4" square
    i have a Chilton's import manual. it doesn't make any reference to one.
    the fuel filter is under the hood, or at-least there is one under the hood that is about the size of a beer can. its clear. when its not working i can see no flow when i pull the fuel line just before the filter. attached a separate fuel pump ( one i used on my 51GMC) and it flowed right away.so it dose not seem to be a blockage in the line. at first i thought maybe some thing got stuck in the pump and when i used the extra pump to check for flow maybe i unjammed the pump ???? its worked the next day. i took it on a 35 mile trip out to the family property to cut down a few dead trees before they fall and do damage. so it was a 30 minuit drive, 3 Hr. parked then drove home. even stopped at wally-world for milk, shut it off for 15 minuets then started up fine again. then today i jumped in it to run down the street to the veggie stand and nothing??? again no fuel pumping, no start??????? its just freaking me out.............
    only good thing was it gave me a chance to do a little testing when it was not working.
    the pump has 5 wires going into it.
    large black
    large light blue with yellow stripe
    small black
    med. green
    med. dark blue.
    i figured the 2 large would be the pump leads. so i hooked up the meeter and got 12V for about 1/2 second then off. this was the same as the pump ran when it was working. so i plugged it back in and tested it again wile hooked up and same, short power then off but no pump running.

whats an EGR solenoid valve ???
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES

Cool

My Geo has the same problem. I bought a new elec pump from this place on ebay. His pumps seem to be 49 bucks for any car and you get it the next day...Bob
    http://myworld.ebay.com/highflowfuel
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

The best way to diagnose this is to check power at the pump, and fuel pressure. You never stated why you think it is the pump that is causing the no start. You could be losing fuel pressure (bad pump, blockage, filter, pickup screen, regulator, etc) or have an electronic problem (bad relay, fuse, signal from ECM, damaged power/ground lead). If in fact the pump is not working when it gets power from the relay and the car wont start, you should jump power (through a fused supply) to the pump and see if you get pressure, this is to insure the wiring is not causing the issue.
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear