Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default new "old" addition to my tool addiction

I found an old Miller Bluestar series 1 engine drive on Craigs list today. The guy I got it from is a retired machinist and has a virtual museum in his back yard and sheds, I have never seen so many steam engines in one place before. He's currently building a steam engine powered saw mill. He's also got a 1942 Diamond REO 2 1/2 ton flatbed truck sitting back there that I would love to get my grubby little hands on as well.

Anyways, I did a quick search of the serial number and found that it is a 1977 model with a 16 h.p. Kohler motor. For $200.00 I couldn't pass it up.

Dragged it home, stuck a battery in it and some fuel, hit the switch and starter button and it fired right up. I will have to get a new solenoid for the throttle kick down, I can kick it down by hand but won't do it automatically as it should. I haven't tried to weld with it yet as I have to take the leads from my Bobcat to try it out.

What's your opinion? Think I did good on this one?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Hard to beat a running machine for 200$

I sure agree with the price. Those old kohlers were used on a lot of grain loaders & were very dependable. Is a fresh coat of Miller blue going to be in the restoration?
    252 Miller Mig
    180 Synchrowave
    R - 45 Milling Machine
    Kingston 1100 Lathe
    Miller 2050 Plasma Cutter

Talked to the original owner a short time ago and was told that he bought it new about 30 years ago and that he also had found a new spare fuel pump for it. He said it was last started about 2 years ago and has low hours for it's age, maybe a 100 or 2. He did tell me everything worked fine on its last use except for the idle solenoid.

I'll hook up a set of leads to it in the morning and if all goes well I will try and find a new set of decals for it and give it a shiny new coat of Miller Blue as well as make a new cart for it. I think it is worth doing a restoration on and will make me a nice little back up welder. Dave

Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Pretty good find!!!
    Do you plan to restore it to original condition?
    I really like the cart too. I wonder if that was a Miller accessory or a home made addition?

I guess if I waited another minute before posting, my question would have been answered.
    Last edited by burninbriar; 08-25-2008 at 09:22 PM.
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Quote Originally Posted by burninbriar View Post
    Pretty good find!!!
    Do you plan to restore it to original condition?
    I really like the cart too. I wonder if that was a Miller accessory or a home made addition?
    I guess we posted at the same time.

The cart was home made.

Cool

That's a nice find...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Not only does it start up and run, the electrical outlet works as it should and I ran a few beads with it this afternoon. I'm going to start tearing it down so I get back to looking good again.

I look forward to seeing the before and after shots.
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Default Great Find

Wow!

Great find.

Miller 140 w A/S
    HF 90 Amp Flux Core
    Dewalt Chop Saw