Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Small Trailer Ideas

I am looking to build a small trailer about the size of a motorcycle trailer. I was wondering if anybody here has built such a trailer and might have pictures. I am just looking for ideas right now. This trailer would be used to haul a couple 80 cu ft bottles of gas, a Dynasty 200, and one or 2 small mig welders and all the associated stuff to go with. The reason for being small is my tow vehicle is a VW Jetta, I know this is an odd combination but it works for the work I am planning on doing.

-Dan
    Owner
    DW Metalworks LLC
    Miller Trailblazer 302
    Miller 8RC Feeder
    Miller Passport Plus
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX W/Coolmate 1
    Hobart Handler 135
    Hypertherm PowerMAX 30
    Smith O/A Torch Set
    Plus more tools then my wife will ever know about....

http://www.carry-ontrailer.com/

Good pics to look at.

I would check to see what a new trailer costs also- the material to build one sometimes costs more than buying a trailer.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Default small trailer

I just finished a trailer built from an S-10 pickup bed. I built/used these for years...advantages of a pickup without the truck.

Here you go. I thought I would post up some pics. This is a trailer that I made to get sport bikes to and from the track. Not really to hard to make and it turned out and pulled great.

Default Nice Trailer

Good looking, I presume you use ramps for the cycles.

Miller 140 w A/S
    HF 90 Amp Flux Core
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    Smith O/A Torch
    Ryobi, HF grinders

Harley Electra Glide Classic

Thanks! Yeah we use ramps to get the bikes onto the trailer.

Miller Brad, I see one design flaw in your trailer that needs some attention.

Your tongue rail should go back to your second crossmember instead of the first as you have it. Also your diagonals should also go back under the frame as far as the second cross as well. All of the tongue weight forces are on the edge of the front crossmember and will end up bending, kinking or just ripping the tube itself with all of the stress that is being put on it.

Is that a Tor-flex axle on it or is the axle mounted with out springs?

Don't mean to sound critical but building trailers is how I make my living and would rather see you address the problem now instead of when it is too late.
    Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Quote Originally Posted by dabar39 View Post
    Is that a Tor-flex axle on it or is the axle mounted with out springs?
    Dave
    3500# torflex axle. I appreciate the input.

Miller Brad, That is one fine looking trailer but I concur with dabar 39 on the tongue issue as I've seen the very thing he described happen on a very similarly sized trailer first time out. On that unit the front crossbember was 4" channel and the tongue rolled up to about a 7 degree angle. Solution? The tongue was extended back to the next x-member and the diagonals rearward to the side rails. Result? Rock solid fix. BTW, I wasn't the one that built it.

Beautiful color too! I ssume it matches the bikes?

Thanks man. It matches the bike of the owner of the trailer, as seen on the far side of this pic. His bike is the Repsol mine is the red one on the other side of his.

BTW: When I say I appreciate the input I really do mean that. If there is a flaw in the design it needs to be rectified.

Didn't mean to hi-jack your thread Dan. Sorry if we got off topic!