Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Materials Rack

Hybrid View

Default Materials Rack

Well, I finally grew tired of storing all my scrap material on the ground, table, against the wall... you get the idea.

I've never had a proper materials rack (just like I've never really had a proper MIG cart), so... instead of running all that rusty steel to the recycling center (an event that obviously was NEVER going to happen), I turned it into something useful. Check out the big brain on Chris. I really just wanted to say, "Nice rack."

This cart was made entirely of things I was tripping over every day in the shop.

1) Had this formed cart, complete with locking castors. On the cart is basically my version of a "plan." Hmm.. I'll use tubing and all those short lengths of 3/8" round stainless rod I have left over from a previous project. Make it work.

2) Had the 1" x .120 square tubing; bent it up like so.

3) I think this thing's gonna work. Zipped it up zing-bang! Where'd I put that can o' spray paint?

4) Loaded.

5) Another view.

I wish I had a picture of the mess of metal to emphasize just how much this little rack has helped me out. But I don't.

Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by chrisgay@sbcglo; 08-24-2008 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Ummmm... I forgot the pictures.

looks good....how did you bend that square tubing like that?

Default This kid's got guns.

Quote Originally Posted by t chassis View Post
    looks good....how did you bend that square tubing like that?
    Thanks.

I pulled them around a special die in my Hossfeld #2 bender.
    I think the diameter is 4".
    I had pulled .060 wall before, but this time I pulled .120 wall for kicks.
    I don't have a hydraulic unit, so I woke up the ol' guns and pulled it the old fashioned way. It worked. Gonna need a longer lever.

I just did a test bend to get me in the ballpark. I like to bend stuff because not only is it fun, but it leaves nice round corners that I don't hurt myself on. It also saves time since I don't have to fit, weld, and dress a joint or two. Even more, it helps to justify the bender purchase.

I'm glad you asked, because I just happen to have these pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a lot of band saws ya got there.
    Miller Maxstar 200 DX
    RMLS-14 Momentary Hand Control
    Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
    Porter Cable 14" dry metal saw
    Hitachi 4.5" grinder
    http://mhayesdesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by tasslehawf View Post
    That's a lot of band saws ya got there.
    Band saws good.

Have a couple more that aren't in the picture.

They all get used on a regular basis, as they're all set up a little differently.
    Maxstar 200DX
    Maxstar 300DX
    Dynasty 200DX
    Passport
    Spectrum 701
    LMSW-52 spot welder

Chris,

Really nice work (as usual).