Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I like that and should make one.

Looks good! I made a similar one using heavy angle, the downside I have found with angle is that the inside corner is rounded so it's hard to get a crisp bend on anything over 3/16
    Freelance Fabber
    Mobile>
    '01 Dodge 1ton w/deck
    07 Miller Trailblazer 302g
    Miller HF251-d
    3hp air compressor
    Spectrum 275 Extreme
    Shop>
    Miller Dynasty 300sd
    Lincoln Migpak 180

Pretty cool, James.

I also have plans to make press brake when time allows. I have a plan worked out, just need another window of opportunity.
    Maxstar 200DX
    Maxstar 300DX
    Dynasty 200DX
    Passport
    Spectrum 701
    LMSW-52 spot welder

Nice job. Looks really functional.

Quote Originally Posted by jamscal View Post
    Here's a few pics. I make among other things off-road bumpers.

Previous method of making bumpers included cutting every plate and welding the seams. Now I can bend at least some of the joints, making things easier on me, and the bumpers smoother.

The design is basically the same as the Northern Tools version, and there are people on ebay who make the same design.

I had the die springs and some of the steel, I think I'm out less than $40 for the whole thing.

Also pictured is a piece of 3/16" plate bent up.

I submitted one for the welding challenge. Take a look in the Shop portion of the Welding Projects gallery. Materials list and dimensions are posted there. Saved me hours of work on some handles I needed to make. Well worth the hour it took to put together.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/interests...ct/2779494898/

I have since made a second press bar with 1/2" round bar for the edge to create a more gentle radius where desired. Swaps out easily by removing the nuts.

Default What actually operates the down motion?

Can one of these be used with a hydraulic car jack? I'm very new with metal, but know that something like this would be kinda essential...but can't figure out how the pressure is applied I know, I got a long ways to go
    Millermatic 212
    1998 Heritage Springer
    Kioti DK55

Quote Originally Posted by curly View Post
    Can one of these be used with a hydraulic car jack? I'm very new with metal, but know that something like this would be kinda essential...but can't figure out how the pressure is applied I know, I got a long ways to go
    shopoutfitters.com at one time offered one using a bottle jack. They used a 20t and used a pair of return springs to return the cylinder. Looks like they upscaled their unit and don't offer it anymore.

For those who would prefer a dedicated press brake instead of a press and a brake.

Not my work - pulled down off this site or the Hobart site - but from my files.

I went with a press and a brake myself.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Eddy View Post
    For those who would prefer a dedicated press brake instead of a press and a brake.

Not my work - pulled down off this site or the Hobart site - but from my files.

I went with a press and a brake myself.
    Thanks Eddy, that's what I wanted to know.
    Millermatic 212
    1998 Heritage Springer
    Kioti DK55

Default Metal Brake Complete

JAMSCAL,

I finally built the press brake this PM, except for paint. Successfully bent a piece of 5" x 1/4" flat plate 90 degrees. Bent some thinner .125 stock earlier as a test. Worked fine. My punch is 5" x 17" x 1". I cut it earlier on the track torch, then had my brother in law finish it on his mill. I think maybe the heat on the track torch had it a little wavy. I won't do that again. Bottom plate is 3/8" x17" x 11", spacing on bottom dies is 1 1/2". They are 1" square stock. My press has a 7 1/2" spacing on it and I am wondering if I should put two or three braces across the bottom plate for support. I really was tired of using a vise, hammer and heat.

I think Big Eddy posted a small bench type bender using a 4 ton jack. I think that will work fine for smaller stuff if I do not feel like lugging the break out to the press. He kindly listed plans as well so thats next project.

OBTW, I have $8.00 in my press brake. Two springs and two bolts. I used 3/4" bolts, should have stayed with 5/8". I'll post a pic tomorrow.

Thanks for your post. Lots of great ideas and advice on this site.