Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Homemade press brake

Here's a few pics. I make among other things off-road bumpers.

Previous method of making bumpers included cutting every plate and welding the seams. Now I can bend at least some of the joints, making things easier on me, and the bumpers smoother.

The design is basically the same as the Northern Tools version, and there are people on ebay who make the same design.

I had the die springs and some of the steel, I think I'm out less than $40 for the whole thing.

Also pictured is a piece of 3/16" plate bent up.

Cool

Nice job...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default Homemade Press Brake

Looks good and evidently plenty functional.

Is the center a piece of heavy angle to form the bend? Reason I ask is I cut a 1 inch piece of metal to a point (3/16" flat at the point) and plan to make a brake for my 20 ton press. If you have a different/better approach I would be interested before I finish.

Appears Nothern uses a piece of angle iron. Am I reading this wrong?

thanks,
    Geezer

I know some people use heavy angle.

My upper die is a piece of 1/2" thick crs with an edge gound on it. Mine also has a land or flat on the edge.

I like this way because I can regrind at anytime as it wears. Angle will eventually need to be replaced.

Also, with angle, the bend will stop at 90 degrees, and you need to go a bit more with some materials to get that full 90 to account for springback.

-James

Thanks James, my upper die is a piece of 1 inch just because thats what I had.

I am still not quite understanding what you used for a lower die. That was where I planned to use angle.

Do you just have two horizontal pieces welded to the bottom frame with a space in the middle as a bottom die? If so what are their demisions? sorry, the penny has not dropped yet.
    Last edited by Geezer; 08-25-2008 at 06:33 AM. Reason: clarify content

I was experimenting with the lower die.

I have two pieces of 3x4 square stock welded...maybe an 1 1/2" apart, to the plate. Then I have two pieces of 1/2" round stock that fits inside of that. I used tig rod to tacked on the ends to keep them against the square.

This is removable if I need to replace them or move to a different shape or size.

I posted the above pic over at the HSM site, and there is a link someone posted to the appropriate dimensions for such work. I'll find the link soon.

I cna take pics if the above is a poor explanation.

Thanks,

James

Edit: Link

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=30387
    Last edited by jamscal; 08-25-2008 at 07:56 AM. Reason: added link

may I send you a PM

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    may I send you a PM
    Sure, and I'll try to get some more detailed pics on here later.

-James

PM sent last night

Here is a more detailed pic.

I have the plate, and two 3/4" bars welded to it approx 2" apart.

Then I have two 1/2" pieces of round stock I stuck in between there to get the proper opening.

I did this because this was an experiment and I knew I could change out the round for a smaller or larger diameter if necessary, and also, replace if they wear out.

I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but so far this has worked for me.

And after I posted this, I noticed two (I think) homemade press brakes in the projects section of this site.

-James