Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default OT 2 questions Heli project

First.......
    I need to drill or mill a hole into the side of a hardened steel gear. How or what do I use. I have HSS end mills........if I make shallow passes, will they do?

Second.........
    I need to set a bearing race into a housing. Will Loctite do and which one? I have 242 I think. Will that work? I want to be sure the race doesn't spin in the aluminum housing.
    Thanks............
    Nick
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

A press fit would be best for the bearing, there is a locktite for locking stuff in place I believe it is green in color, I don't have the number right now but I can see if I still have some and get the number off of it.

As for machining the gear you will need a carbide cutter, Either a carbie insert cutter or a solid carbide end mill.

-Dan
    Owner
    DW Metalworks LLC
    Miller Trailblazer 302
    Miller 8RC Feeder
    Miller Passport Plus
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX W/Coolmate 1
    Hobart Handler 135
    Hypertherm PowerMAX 30
    Smith O/A Torch Set
    Plus more tools then my wife will ever know about....

Wink

I agree , a carbide tool would be my first port of call. If you find that the carbide tool is heating or getting dull a more expensive tungsten-carbide cutter is the piece you need . Although it varies from metal to metal and you may laugh but when machining very difficult materials use household washing up liquid as a coolant/lubricant it surprisingly has better properties than standard drilling fluid under high heat and stress conditions. Be sure to clean with standard thinners after machining as the washing fluid causes corrosion of carbon steel if left on the piece for a while . Best of luck.

Try this link to Enco for your loctite. They have them listed along with each ones purpose.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...PARTPG=INLMK32

I agree with the carbide tooling. HSS won't get you far at all.
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Locktite 640. What washing liquid? dish soap and water? I did use water on some heavy hole sawing the other day, 3/4 in 1/2 plate and it worked pretty well. I kept dipping the bit, only once did I overheat and was due to impatience. 2 layers of 1/2 inch on a machine with battery drill and hole saw, about 5 minutes per hole in all. Whole job took me maybe 1/2 hr. Back to what soap mix?
    Last edited by Sberry; 08-17-2008 at 08:48 PM.

Water is perfectly fine as a coolant but provides little if any lubrication with these expensive tools using a lubricant is essential as it can almost double tool life. I said you might laugh but dont knock washing gel till you tried it.

Thanks for all replies...............

Loctite 640 ?? I don't see that one one the list
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Propane Forge

Quote Originally Posted by monte55 View Post
    Thanks for all replies...............

Loctite 640 ?? I don't see that one one the list
    Have you tried to find a list by loctite? The link I posted is what enco sells, it could be they just don't carry the 640. I don't know.

After I made my post last night I got to thinking that for the hole you need to drill, depending on how hard the gear is, you might be able to drill it with a cobalt bit. They are more forgiving as far as breaking off than carbide but still a lot tougher than HSS.
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

It's not on the Enco list........thanks for the link......good info.
    The gears are spider gears out of a rear end of a van. A file just skates over them.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Propane Forge

Washing gel? You are talking about hand cleaner?