Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help Round pipe in tank

How do I make a precision fit of a 3 inch round pipe into a round tank?

I need a 3 inch round pipe installed in the 24 inch round tank. I Need the pipe to perfectly vertical but it will be offset a bit from straight up on the tank if that makes sense. Instead of being just straight down into the center of the tank it will be offset to one side just bit.

Drill the hole holding the bit in line with the intended angle of the pipe to be installed. The resulting hole will look oval but the pipe will fit when at the same angle.
    Weekend wannab racer with some welders.

The other way would be to cut the 3" pipe to fit and then trace around it with soapstone and cut the hole with a torch.
    There is a site that has a program to make patterns for you, I don't know if I can find it though. You can also make your own pattern but its hard to explain how to do it.
    This came up a while back on this site and I did my best to describe how to do it and someone else posted a link to the site with the program. You might try the search on this forum to find that thread.
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Check out this site if you want to try making your own pattern. I thought I had one bookmarked.
    http://www.thesheetmetalshop.com/pdf...book_part1.pdf

Pureox OA
    Miller Syncrowave 250

How precision?

Just out of curiosity whats in the 24 inch tank

piper

Quote Originally Posted by burninbriar View Post
    Check out this site if you want to try making your own pattern. I thought I had one bookmarked.

thats an awesome link. thanks!
    Millermatic 180 Auto Set

Quote Originally Posted by burninbriar View Post

Millermatic 180 Auto Set

Quote Originally Posted by jweller View Post
    Your welcome. The sheetmetal shop is one of my favorite sites beside this one. They have a lot of reprints of old books from around the turn of the 20th century. I ordered the DVD of old books and its great, I definitely recommend it.
    Here is a link to the site if you want to poke around a little.
    http://www.thesheetmetalshop.com/index.html

Check out the library, you'll find some interesting reading there.
    Last edited by burninbriar; 08-14-2008 at 02:57 PM.

Pureox OA
    Miller Syncrowave 250

Thanks guys. I book marked the site. The tank is going to be a smoker. The pipe is the exhaust stack.