Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Enclosed Trailer

This winter when everything is slow at work and everywhere else, I plan on starting an enclosed motorcycle trailer for a single bike. I have been looking around on how to construct the sides and roof but so far the only one I found used plywood. I want to keep it lightweight and strong. Has anyone ever done this or have any suggestions, maybe plywood is the best option.

Thanks
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Check in your area for a shop that repairs semi trailers and see if they have any roof material or siding from a wreck. I've used this (aluminum) and normally it's great for the price (free at the time). Probably cost you some now though.

I think the top might be the hardest to make. How about using a camper shell
    for the top. Most have windows and can be found in yards all over town
    for sale. The sides should be a lot easier. Since the shell has the flip up rear
    door..........the bottom part you make is also the ramp. The sides could be made out of say 1" sq tube for the frame and covered with galvanized
    28 gage sheet and pop riveted to the frame with alum rivets. A 4x8' sheet is under $20. Just an idea. I just think plywood looks like crap no matter what you do to it.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Hello,

I do not know if this will help or not, but I just finished an enclosed trailer with a ramp door. I realize it is more than you are planning, but the approach could be scaled for your need. The sides are aluminum panels installed with double sided tape (come prepainted) and the top is a one piece aluminum sheet attached with self tapers and sealing tape. You could scale as appropriate, but it would be considerable more expensive than reusing available used material. Hoops and accessiories can be bought from Redneck or Quality Trailers.

Thanks for the replies. They all help in some way.

I did check on damaged semi trailers, the guy that gets them said dont bother, the ones he gets in are in too bad a shape to try and salvage any pieces.

I kinda like Nicks idea about the square tubing and sheet metal. That may be the way I end up going. I have to agree about the plywood, no matter what you do to it, it looks cheap, kind of like paneling from the 60's.
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

KBar the solution I found while building mine was to cover it with plywood then skin that with aluminum. I used aluminum from Lowes for triming houses it's 2ft x 50ft. It worked out great.I have'nt had time to finish or update the pics yet but I've got the doors framed up and welded and I put a 3500# axle under it and to the outside of the trailer. It weighs 1200# with everything but the doors on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Rolled roofing

I think this may be my first post here - but I read the forum almost daily. I recently built an enclosed, 7 X 20 trailer and it came out pretty good. I get compliments on it everywhere I take it.

I used (this sounds really Arkansas) galvanized, corrugated roof panels mounted horizontally. I even put the top 6" in a transparent fiberglass, corrugated roofing panel to let in light.

It sounds hokey but it looks good, was cheap, is strudy and watertight.

BUT - my next one is going to be made from steel, pre-finished roofing material - in flat panels and riveted to the angle iron verticals. The steel is available from any rolled roofing manufacturer - and it is very reasonably priced. Let me clarify - the flat steel, before it is run across their dies to form it into roofing panels.

I'll try to take and post a pic - seeing is believing. (it's dark and raining right now)

Good luck!