Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Lightbulb Need saw info...

Hello Everyone!

I am a High School welding teacher, and I need to get a saw for my school shop. We have a chop saw, so I am looking at cold cut or band saws. I want it to cut angles easily. I am leaning toward band saws as they seem to be a little cheaper. I probably have up to $4500 to spend, but hopefully not quite that much. I want it to be accurate, Easy to use, and TOUGH! (They kids can destroy the best of things!) I also would like it to cut 6" box tube or so...

I have been looking at Wilton and Balieh saws, but do you have any words of wisdom?

Thanks Everyone! I enjoy reading your info very much!

Ellis. Besides being made here in the U.S. of A. it is a fine saw set up for easily cutting angles. Except for the backbone of the saw frame and the swivel everything else is manufactured out of regular steel and should be good to go for years to come OR easily mended with a little fabrication, grinding and welding back into place. For 6" box tube you wouldn't even need that large of an Ellis model.

Default saws

i just bought the grizzly g0613 its a great saw for $1500.00
    but if i had $3000.00 i would go with the Ellis 1600
    go to there web site and they will send you info and a dvd
    Last edited by BC Iron works; 08-09-2008 at 11:08 AM.

Hellowyo, I just took a look at your profile and saw that you are over in Greybull. You're more than welcome to take a drive over the mountain to Gillette and check out my Ellis down at the shop.

I'd say an Ellis as well.... blades are lots cheaper than cold saw blades....and the kids are less likely to jack up the Ellis with too fast of feed rates etc.....plus Ellis is widely used in fab shops as well as production type work so they would be familiar with the saw and it controls prior to working in the the trade.....
    George W. Bush was saving your butt whether you liked it or not!
    Fear is temporary, regret is forever
    HH210 with SG

Ellis! Biggest cut for the Buck.

Bandsaws are more forgiving then coldsaws, when used by "non-thinkers".

Bandsaw blades are cheaper to buy but coldsaw blades can be sharpened many times.

To cut 6" box would require a large coldsaw, once again the nod goes to a bandsaw.
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw
    Sand blast cabinet
    lots of hand grinders
    Harris torch
    beer fridge

Default Hey just new here myself, on the forum

hellowyo, ya just wanted to say another brand of saw that I have worked with is the HYd-Mech, there are many versions sizes what have you. Good Luck. theweldinfarminartist

=hellowyo;155622]Hello Everyone!

I am a High School welding teacher, and I need to get a saw for my school shop. We have a chop saw, so I am looking at cold cut or band saws. I want it to cut angles easily. I am leaning toward band saws as they seem to be a little cheaper. I probably have up to $4500 to spend, but hopefully not quite that much. I want it to be accurate, Easy to use, and TOUGH! (They kids can destroy the best of things!) I also would like it to cut 6" box tube or so...

I have been looking at Wilton and Balieh saws, but do you have any words of wisdom?

Thanks Everyone! I enjoy reading your info very much![/QUOTE]