Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default New... with a question too

Good day all! As you can see, this is my first post on this forum. I was referred by a member of another forum, but I don't know his handle here. He goes by Grumpyvette over there. Quite knowledgeable, I might add...

Anyway, I'm beginning to get into road racing, so as a result, I find it necessary to do a bit of welding now and then. Most of my projects are probably simple to all the experienced welders on the board, but as a novice, I'm having some difficulty. I am working with 20 and 22 ga sheet metal right now and am having a tough time keeping a consistent bead. I may go an inch or two with a reasonable result, then another inch with a sloppy, irregular weld. Since I'm working with mild steel, I figured I could get by using flux-core in my MIG. It's one of the small, hobby type 110V units, but I would think it is good enough for some occasional sheet metal work.
    I haven't been getting any burn-through OR spatter, so I'm starting to think I'm just sloppy. I tend to do a better job when I'm working with thicker material.

Since I have basically been learning all this on my own, several people have recommended I take a welding class to develop the skill. I'd appreciate any input you all have. Thanks.

Welcome. Do yourself a favor and get some C25 and .023 wire for that mig to do 20-22ga MS with. Fluxcore is really too hot to use for anything thinner than 16-18ga IMO, and besides cleanup will be lots better without having to clean up all that slag. Also I try not to do longer beads on that thin of MS as the chances of warpage is much greater, widely seperated spot welds and 1/2-3/4" welds between the spots work better for me.
    Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Thanks for the advice, Sundown. I'll head up to my local welding supply and get some fresh spools today. Hopefully I will have better luck with it this time around.

welcome to the site. sundown prity much coverd it. get some C-25 and stick to small beads moveing them around to keep stuff cool.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Talking Welcome

Welcome to the site there are alot of smart welders on this site your like!!

Inferno Forge

Chris