Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thumbs down welding casr iron

i need to weld some brackets on the cast iron houseing of my rear end. a friend of mine gave me special electrode for the cast iron and told me to preheat the all housing before welding. is it mandatory?

Are you sure it is cast iron & not cast steel? I have welded on cast steel housings & used 7018 with preheat & also used mig with preheat. All successful.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Quote Originally Posted by MMW View Post
    Are you sure it is cast iron & not cast steel? I have welded on cast steel housings & used 7018 with preheat & also used mig with preheat. All successful.
    i am sure it is cast iron. and i also know for sure that 7018 is not recomand for that, but you confirm that it has to be preheated. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fabio manno View Post
    i need to weld some brackets on the cast iron houseing of my rear end. a friend of mine gave me special electrode for the cast iron and told me to preheat the all housing before welding. is it mandatory?
    No offense, but if you have to ask a basic question like that, maybe look to have someone else do the repair. You also must know what your working on, is it cast iron? cast steel? malleable iron? ductile iron? ???
    Do your homework first, especially on a part like that. Remember a good number of rear ends from pre 1960's were malleable iron, and therefore not fusion weldable.
    SO find out what your working with, research the process needed ( treat it like school, not cheating on a test ) and see if you want to tackle it.
    -Aaron
    "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
    Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

If it is cast iron, preheat and post heat are mandatory if you want it to hold.
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Quote Originally Posted by DDA52 View Post
    If it is cast iron, preheat and post heat are mandatory if you want it to hold.
    thanks a lot to confirm it

Quote Originally Posted by Aerometalworker View Post
    No offense, but if you have to ask a basic question like that, maybe look to have someone else do the repair. You also must know what your working on, is it cast iron? cast steel? malleable iron? ductile iron? ???
    Do your homework first, especially on a part like that. Remember a good number of rear ends from pre 1960's were malleable iron, and therefore not fusion weldable.
    SO find out what your working with, research the process needed ( treat it like school, not cheating on a test ) and see if you want to tackle it.
    -Aaron
    yes, it is cast iron and it is not pre 60. the reason why i ask is because i had somebody welding previously on my rearend with regular mig and not special wire and no preheat and it did very good.never had problems. then i had somebody else stick welding and no preheat and again never had problems,then again mig welding and preheat with great resultes. the rear end belong to an off road rig always under big stress. so i think that the limit is the sky and asking around always different opinions. so wich one is your answer after all those infos?

Quote Originally Posted by fabio manno View Post
    yes, it is cast iron and it is not pre 60. the reason why i ask is because i had somebody welding previously on my rearend with regular mig and not special wire and no preheat and it did very good.never had problems. then i had somebody else stick welding and no preheat and again never had problems,then again mig welding and preheat with great resultes. the rear end belong to an off road rig always under big stress. so i think that the limit is the sky and asking around always different opinions. so wich one is your answer after all those infos?
    Is this three different rear ends or is all this welding on the same one?
    The reason I ask is that if its all on the same rear end, then your statement that you never had any problems my not be correct. The fact that the latter breaks were not in the same place does not mean that they were not caused by stress from the first repair job.
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

It would be nice if he would give us some ACTUAL info because some of us here speak fluant automotive terminology
    This WAS the motorsports forum before it got reformated.
    What kind of rear end is it? What did it come out of? Dana? GM? 1/2 ton? 3/4ton?
    It is ALL hypothetical at this point unless maybe we talk to your buddy

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

If you are in doubt, preheat it. If it doesn't have to be it won't hurt but if it does and you don't preheat it will matter. Good luck. As far as your original question --- yes, you should preheat cast iron although I don't know the exact temperature recommended. After preheating then welding it you should post heat to even out the temperature & then cover it for slow cool down. Sometimes when it cools to fast it will crack especially something with varying thicknesses that will cool at different rates.
    Last edited by MMW; 08-09-2008 at 09:37 AM.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24