Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Got a Diversion

Default Got a Diversion

Here are my first thoughts on my new Diversion.

Sweet machine.

I ran a few test beads yesterday and was really impressed. The 'wheel' was a little different and will take some getting used to...especially on sheet metal. But I think when I get used to it it will be handy maybe more so than a foot pedal.

Miller really hit the sweet spot on the AC side,for being fixed balance and freq. I pulled an odd piece of 1/8 aluminum out of the scrap bin and ran a few beads on it.....no cleaning just had to try the new toy. It was great.

I have to say I am happier with this than the PT 185 I sold last winter. I think the AC side was nicer than the Syncro I used in class.

Would I prefer to have had a Dynasty 200 DX....well yes of course. BUT the amount of profit I have to make to afford a $3000 dollar machine versus the Diversion is alot more...at least for my micro business. This allows me to do things I would have had to turn down and made no profit on.

I also wanted to say that the spoon fed part of the dial is about like the 'slide rule' that came with the PT 185. The amps are plainly marked on the dial.

Oh one other little thing....the protective cover over the torch hoses was a nice touch....one less thing I had to buy.

Later

Where did you buy it and what did you pay, if you don't mind me asking?
    Miller Maxstar 200 DX
    RMLS-14 Momentary Hand Control
    Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
    Porter Cable 14" dry metal saw
    Hitachi 4.5" grinder
    http://mhayesdesign.com

RAM Welding Supply out by you. That's an online place in Fresno.

Glad to hear you like it, Yes I to would like to have an idea of the neighbor hood as I have had a number or pm's on this and other forums as to the cost in the real world. Also what all came with it?
    glen, If your not on the edge, your wasting space

Quote Originally Posted by PTsideshow View Post
    Glad to hear you like it, Yes I to would like to have an idea of the neighbor hood as I have had a number or pm's on this and other forums as to the cost in the real world. Also what all came with it?

Ha Ha Glen is there a forum you're not on?

It was about 1350.

It came with all the usual suspects. I was just plesantly surprisedat the hose cover. Oh and a free pair of TIG gloves is you fillout the questionaire!

Cool

cool, nice to see reports of it coming in already.and even more happier to hear they are good one's.
    as things are going, i may well end up parting with my TA-185 due to financial situation and suspect the diversion will be my best chance of getting back into a TIG unit in future. with any luck it will have a stick option by the time i get their, although i still have not gotten the hang of stick. it is some thing i want to put more time into to try to beat/get it.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by etonline View Post
    Ha Ha Glen is there a forum you're not on?

It was about 1350.

It came with all the usual suspects. I was just plesantly surprisedat the hose cover. Oh and a free pair of TIG gloves is you fillout the questionaire!
    To answer your first question plenty that I'm not on or no longer participating in. AS the older I get the less tolerance I have for legends in their own minds, and the other standard ego maniacs that seem to be drawn to the forums and then the forums were the inmates are running the asylum!
    But thats nice to known as if I just didn't jump of the deep end with the dynasty 200DX I think that the diversion 165 would be a great entry level starter TIG.

Thanks for the info.
    glen, If your not on the edge, your wasting space