Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Well, I managed to zip up the frame and seemed to keep it all pretty true in the process.

I tacked up this tubular base with wheels, but I may need to bolt it down like a real machine... we'll see.

I've just gotta flip the hand wheel and weld the underside in the morning, then I s'ppose I could finally roll something.

If this thing no worky, I'll quietly bow out of the forum and purchase myself a plate roller, complete with motor... ... which I'll probably purchase in the future, but this little guy should get me by for a while.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Maxstar 200DX
    Maxstar 300DX
    Dynasty 200DX
    Passport
    Spectrum 701
    LMSW-52 spot welder

Looks good- what did you use to Roll the Wheel?
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Looks good- what did you use to Roll the Wheel?
    Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

I used the same ring roller that you have. I used the dies for 1" square tubing for 1" round, which turned into a small disaster because, as one would expect , the round expanded and kept getting pinched in the dies and made it extremely difficult to roll. It all worked out in the end; I just got a good workout myself.
    Maxstar 200DX
    Maxstar 300DX
    Dynasty 200DX
    Passport
    Spectrum 701
    LMSW-52 spot welder

Default Finito

The roller is done. I'm already rolling the pieces I need for my current project, so I didn't even give it a paint job.

This thing ROCKS.

I'll post pictures sometime tonight or tomorrow... suckers.

I'm really stoked we made this. I'll go into more details of just how cool it is later.

My only regret is that I didn't make it wider.

I hope you all can get some ideas and learn from any mistakes I made along the way.
    Maxstar 200DX
    Maxstar 300DX
    Dynasty 200DX
    Passport
    Spectrum 701
    LMSW-52 spot welder

It sure turned out nice! Post some pics of the work product too.

Default Check it.

So, I finally zipped this up and put it straight into action.
    No time for paint, and the 2x4 I had wedged in the frame for the mock-up is still wedged in the frame.

1 and 2) Test piece, first run. That's a 1/8" x 8" wide piece of mild steel.

Honestly, I stuck the metal in the rollers and this thing pretty muched rolled itself. I could give the wheel a light flick and it would draw the metal right on through to the other side. Effortless. I love it when a plan comes together.

3) Straight into the project at hand. This is the 1/8" x 5" skirt for the stands I am currenlty making. I have to roll these in two halves and fit them up. Rolls like cookie dough.

4 and 5) The finished machine. When I have a chance, I'll give it a coat of paint.

In all honestly, this thing works even better- way better- than I had expected. No gears, no chain, no idlers, no motor, no problems. I didn't really check out anyone elses plans before I made this because I had a clear idea of what I wanted and how I would make it from the get-go. Now that I finished mine, I looked around at some of the other plans, and with no disrespect intended to the rollers and builders, I just don't understand the need for all those sprockets, chains, motors, keyways, idler, etc. Looks like a lot of extra expense, PITA, and well, I just don't see it.

If I had to do it again, I would make it wider. Duh.
    Also, the rollers on mine still see about a 1/4" gap between them when jacked up all the way. This basically means that you are limited by how tight of a radius you can roll. If you look at a sheet metal pinch roller, the dies can basically close right in on each other, so you can roll about a tight of a radius as the die. Just something to consider if and when you build your own.

Now that this is behind me, I can move on with the project and start thinking about making my press brake.

Thanks for looking.

I'll be happy to answer any questions about this thing, but don't expect me to send you any plans. I simply don't have any and I'm sure not going to draw any up. As I mentioned before, they can be found scrawled on my shop table in soapstone or on the back of a knapkin somewhere.

Woohoo!
    Maxstar 200DX
    Maxstar 300DX
    Dynasty 200DX
    Passport
    Spectrum 701
    LMSW-52 spot welder

Lightbulb original question

Quote Originally Posted by big c View Post
    i am wanting to build a roller to roll 1/4 x2 and 1/2 round bar can any one help me with this?
    I probably won't be rolling any round bar with mine, and I still hold to my original recommendation for your application: buy the $90 roller on e-bay.
    It will do your 1/4 x 2 and 1/2 bar no problem.

I was about $175 out of pocket for my machine, but I had most of the material laying around the chop. Time into the project is another story.
    Maxstar 200DX
    Maxstar 300DX
    Dynasty 200DX
    Passport
    Spectrum 701
    LMSW-52 spot welder

Quote Originally Posted by chris***@sbcglo View Post
    Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

I used the same ring roller that you have. I used the dies for 1" square tubing for 1" round, which turned into a small disaster because, as one would expect , the round expanded and kept getting pinched in the dies and made it extremely difficult to roll. It all worked out in the end; I just got a good workout myself.
    What Dies are you talking about?

Mine didn't come with any Tube dies- I used a Die from my 2020 bender- worked ok.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    What Dies are you talking about?

Mine didn't come with any Tube dies- I used a Die from my 2020 bender- worked ok.
    Ummm... oh yeah... those would be the dies that we turned for 1" square tubing. Your bender would not have come with these dies.

I need to make a set for round, but will probably just make them as the need arises.

A "V" grooved set of dies should work for round, but won't give you as good results as a nice dedicated set of dies for the proper tube size. It just depends on what is acceptable for the job you are doing. For a handle for my bender I can live with an oblong shape. For a customer's hand railing... that's another story.

Ed, you'll have to check out this new roller when you're in SD... but it aint leaving my chop.
    Last edited by chrisgay@sbcglo; 08-28-2008 at 02:44 PM. Reason: forgot the pic
    Maxstar 200DX
    Maxstar 300DX
    Dynasty 200DX
    Passport
    Spectrum 701
    LMSW-52 spot welder

Chris,

AWESOME!

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together.

As with all your work, when you set your mind to it, you "GET ER DONE".