Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default need plans for band roller

i am wanting to build a roller to roll 1/4 x2 and 1/2 round bar can any one help me with this?

Grab a beverage and start reading

Worked yesterday ??

Anyhoo just search "Ring Roller"

No direct link but there are tons of them around here.
    Last edited by Broccoli1; 08-06-2008 at 11:52 AM.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Default e-bay

I bought a roller on e-bay for under $100. It cost almost as much to ship it as it did for the machine so I was in under $180 or so. Now, I can't build a roller for $180. I've seen others here who've done the same, often modifying the machine to suit their specific needs. I made some dies to roll square tubing for a specific job.

Coincidentally, I was just out looking at that very machine because I need to roll 5" wide material x 3/16" thick. Too wide for this machine, and too thick for my ancient slip-roll. So... Imagonna make meez a macheen to do the job.

Shouldn't be too difficult... just might take some muscles to make 'er go round. So... bigger wheel or gear reduction... or... work out the ol' guns. I'll probably go with big wheel for now 'cause I gotta get 'er done, dawg.

Just read the literature that Broccoli posted. MMMMM.... beverage....

What kinds of bends are you looking to do? I ask because I used to do all my bending with out any rollers or bending machines. Just some forms and some leeeeverage. You'd be surprised.

nothing opens in that link

chris*** - check your pm

Lightbulb

i also got mine off e-bay many years ago. same one as HF offers i think. its a simple design, shouldn't be hard to make, just the rollers would be the hard part to make without a metal lath.
    some of the bender manufactures offer up do it your self designs that will work with their die's. i posted a pic of one of those designs.
    and a break down drawing i made of the one i have. and a few pic's of mine. hope its some help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Click this link on the JH Choppers Site, its a ring rollor from the Hobart Welding Fourm.

http://www.jhchoppers.com/tools/tools.htm

Default shop made roller

Quote Originally Posted by chris***@sbcglo View Post
    Coincidentally, I was just out looking at that very machine because I need to roll 5" wide material x 3/16" thick. Too wide for this machine, and too thick for my ancient slip-roll. So... Imagonna make meez a macheen to do the job.
    Almost done with the macheen. Rollers and bearings are complete; I just need to zip up the frame, assemble it, make a handle, and roll something to make sure it works.

I've been busy on other projects, but I should have it together early next week when time allows. I'll post the process and results then; at that point, all the armchair experts can tell me what I did wrong and how I could have made it better... but I'll be too busy rolling stuff to care.

Gee.... I hope it works.

Default almost there...

Well, this thing's been coming together in bits and pieces of time and material. I've been nibbling away on it in spare moments, but I have to give many thanks to my father, who machined all the roller components (rollers, bearing housings, bushings, etc.). Hopefully I can get him back in here to jig up the frame for me so all I have to do is zip it up with the welder. Thanks, dad!

1) Had the 1/2 x 4 flat bar for the frame. Cut to length.
    2) The "plans." This is about as close to a "plan" you're gonna get out of me, so I hope the pics will tell the story.
    3) Thanks, dad!
    4) Rollers complete with bearings, and home-made pillow blocks.
    5) I actually had these 1" holes cut on the water-jet. I piggy backed them on another project I had going with my water-jet source.

Default more pics

1) drive roller mocked up.
    2) Ummm.. what's next?
    3) Gonna need a handle. 1" x .090 round tube.
    4) 4 feet fits my table perfectly.
    5) Makin' it work. Mano a mano.

Thanks for looking.
    Hopefully this thing will finish itself soon.