Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: union welding

Default union welding

hey guys im a newbie on here.. im part of tons a of online forums and just wana ask this simple question even tho it prob has been asked.. im 19 and im interested in getting into the union for welding.. i have no experience with welding at all.. where would i start. do i just go to the local union and i start from there and ill learn.. or should i go to a welding school first then head to the union.. thanks and any info would be great

You kinda have to get your ticket first, leastwise your first year schooling, then attempt to get into a union shop. even then you have to know somebody.

really so then itz pointless if i dnt kno anyone to even go to school

Quote Originally Posted by 96xlt.ranger View Post
    really so then itz pointless if i dnt kno anyone to even go to school
    HUH I went to school but can't understand that??????????????
    Please spell in normal eengleesh.
    Dynasty 200DX With TEC Superflex 9 & 17 Torches,
    Hypertherm 30A Plasma
    Rincoln SP130T Mig

If you’re really interested in becoming a professional welder you could look up the local welders union and visit them to find out the best way to accomplish your goal. If they can't help you, there are other open shop options for welding pros. Any skills you develop now will help you down the road. It's never a waste of time to learn new skills. Look for any apprenticeship opportunities you can find.
    Russ
    BFM
    Dynasty 200DX
    Passport Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn B View Post
    HUH I went to school but can't understand that??????????????
    Please spell in normal eengleesh.
    Its texting speak so they don't have to spell.Thats one reason they are finding it hard to get jobs or into the door at the various trades. They forget to speak and write in a way that everybody can understand.
    Neighbors kid couldn't figure out why he couldn't get hired even at the local rip off scrap yard, He was a thugg wannebe, with his pants below his A$$ checks.And talks in a combination of slang and text speak. After about the 6 place that run him out. He ditched the fake bling and talked normal so the old farts that owned the places he wanted to work at could understand him. He got a job
    And it was at one of the places that threw him out.
    glen, If your not on the edge, your wasting space

Don't know where you're from, but if you can get into the Ironworker's Union, they might make you get your welding ticket through their apprenticeship. That's the way it works up here. Then, once you've got your ticket for stick, you can take additional classes for tig. Don't think the structural guys offer that, but I'm an Ornamental Ironworker, my union does.

And, yes, speak and write in English, tuck your A$$ into your pants, and pull all of the jewelry out of your face!

As stupid as this may sound to you young guys, we know it's only construction or blue collar work, but as long as us old folks are in charge, you'll have to do it our way. I didn't understand why my father made me get a haircut and take out my earring when I was a kid. I don't mind a kid with long hair and an earring now, but the other crap, no way! Guess it skips a generation!

Quote Originally Posted by BudMan580 View Post
    Don't know where you're from, but if you can get into the Ironworker's Union, they might make you get your welding ticket through their apprenticeship. That's the way it works up here. Then, once you've got your ticket for stick, you can take additional classes for tig. Don't think the structural guys offer that, but I'm an Ornamental Ironworker, my union does.

And, yes, speak and write in English, tuck your A$$ into your pants, and pull all of the jewelry out of your face!

As stupid as this may sound to you young guys, we know it's only construction or blue collar work, but as long as us old folks are in charge, you'll have to do it our way. I didn't understand why my father made me get a haircut and take out my earring when I was a kid. I don't mind a kid with long hair and an earring now, but the other crap, no way! Guess it skips a generation!
    Something the youngsters do not think about (or do not want to think) is that when they get to be old geezers (like us), they will be the same way!!!

Griff

Default Union welding jobs are not common on the West Coast

The Iron Workers are very weak in California. I applied a year or two out of high school. The Union rep came to a job skills center one or two Tuesdays a month for 15 minutes. He would verify ID and keep a copy of the applicant's HS diploma or GED. He would provide a list of Union contractors and shops. Everything else was the applicant's problem. I am not even aware of an Ironworkers Union shop within 75 miles of the state Capitol. There may be a few in the Oakland/S.F. area. The West Coast/Southwest has plenty of cheap labor and stagnant wages so the Trade unions have really declined around here.
    The Sheetmetal Workers Union has a good apprenticeship program and stable year around work. I was in the pre-apprentice group but got tired of kissing asses. I went to work welding auto parts and later fences.
    Last edited by deafman; 08-03-2008 at 12:12 PM. Reason: clarity

Default go to school

Check out Missouri Welding Institute. www.mwi.ws Great education and JOBS upon graduation. Don't focus on the union but don't rule it out either. Gotta LEARN before you can EARN.........work hard you'll be OK!!