Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011

Thread: Flying Project

Default Contra Rotating Propellers

Been seeing more and more contra rotating propellers in the radio controlled world and was wondering how your full sized project was coming along.... was also wondering if you might share some pics of the gearbox scheme you used to achieve the contra rotation...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

OK.... that spider gear setup is a simple elegant solution... Thanks!!

The mast does look a little lightweight.... know the loading is way different.. but the ones on the Bell Jetrangers and Hughes 500's that I am used to are massive by comparison..... how did you calculate the loading on it??

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

When you say mast, what are you referring to?...The 2" square mast as I call it or the 1" rotor shaft. No calcs were done. Just looked at a lot of other projects and came up with this.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by monte55 View Post
    When you say mast, what are you referring to?...The 2" square mast as I call it or the 1" rotor shaft. No calcs were done. Just looked at a lot of other projects and came up with this.
    Monte
    was referring to the "Rotor Mast"

You may find it useful to refer to Wayne Johnson's text "Helicopter Theory" it is pretty much the standard reference in rotary wing design...

"Monumental text offers comprehensive, detailed coverage of every aspect of theory and design: elements of vertical flight, forward flight, performance, mathematics of rotating systems, rotary wing dynamics and aerodynamics, aeroelasticity, stability and control, more. Essential reading for those interested in design and development of vertical-flight aircraft. 189 illustrations. 1089 pages
    1980 edition."

http://books.google.com/books?id=SgZheyNeXJIC

there are lots of used copies available at reasonable prices...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200