Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Flying Project

I could be wrong here, but I don't think the rotors opposing directions will negate the torque vectors to the point it will be easier to bump the gyros out of plane. The reason airplane engines are canted at 10 degrees off center is due to the torque vector, but that doesn't eliminate the the gyroscopic precession - it merely prevents it from having as large an impact on the aircraft's tendency to yaw because of it.

A way to find out your chances, would be to look up a twin opposing prop airplane and see if the engine is mounted in line with center or skewed. If it's in line, you're in luck. If it's canted, you're probably screwed (or at least going to have a lot of physical effort to fly your machine).
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

now I thougth I had seen it all.

Default New videos on Monte's heli project

Well now that the weather is warming up some I thought it's time to do more
    testing with the heli project. I uploaded 2 new videos of running up the engine
    and drive train with all 4 rotors installed. I still have a lot to figure out. This is for the ones that requested updates on my progress.
    Nick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoPOlKnJFwA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-df8RKaa_h8
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Default Wow

I will echo earlier comments and say that is one of the craziest things I've seen on this board. I see you wear a lot of different hats, I didn't think Test Pilot was one of them. Please stay safe.

Matt.
    "A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing"

Millermatic 135
    Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Saw
    Milwaukee Deep Cut Band
    Fully charged fire extinguisher

Nick,
    Thanks for the videos, they are great. So what is the next test? Did you notice much lift during your test? How much throttle did you use? Keep it up and good luck.
    Nick

Nick,
    Can I put a life insurance policy on you? It might pay well with that contraption!!!!
    One thing I would do is put a shield on the drive shaft if I was you. You have a lot of trust in your work.
    Rick C.

One of the biggest issues I see is it will not be instinctive to fly with the control system that you are using. Push left to go right, pull back to go forward.
    A very ambitious project. Be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBill View Post
    One of the biggest issues I see is it will not be instinctive to fly with the control system that you are using. Push left to go right, pull back to go forward.
    Pretty much the same as flying a hang glider. Or, guiding an auto by grasping the steering wheel below center.

It's intuitive, once you're airborne.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Nick,
    Thanks for the videos, they are great. So what is the next test? Did you notice much lift during your test? How much throttle did you use? Keep it up and good luck.
    Nick
    The rotors are at 0 degree pitch now so no lifting. I am in the process of making 8 degree wedge shims to give the rotors positive pitch. It's a starting point and I'll see what happens. Btw...so far throttle has been on the low side.
    Nick
    Last edited by monte55; 03-29-2010 at 06:31 AM.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Just wanted to reiiterate (sp?) on what I told you before and what others have said: BE CAREFUL!!! We'd hate to lose you........
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time