Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Flying Project

Being a motorcycle guy, and seeing the small arc that chain is going around, I'd have two chains (stacked) on that machine. If you only have one, and it breaks........well....Times Up!
    RoyB
    Dartmouth, MA

http://www.rvbprecision.com

Millermatic 185 MIG
    Miller Diversion 165
    Purox W200 O/A
    Grizzly 9957 Mill
    Grizzly 4030 Metal Band Saw
    Grizzly 1050 Knife Belt Sander
    Jet 1236 Metal Lathe
    TP Blast Cabinet

Default Short video of counter rotating rotor head

I just put a short video of the rotor head on Youtube. It is 10:16 Central time right now. You may need to give it a few minutes for Youtube to complete the loading process. I think the video will explain better than pictures how it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHQ4k3dKqtg

Nick
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Sorry about the video. It looked fine before we uploaded it. Will try again later.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Propane Forge

Default Hiller 'copters without tailfans

Nick,
    In the late '50's or early 60's Hiller produced a two place machine the Hiller Hornet. It had ramjet engines on the rotor tips. Because there is no torque being applied to the main post, there is no appreciable counter force. A slight tendency to spin opposite the rotors is caused by friction. Hiller handled that with an angled tailfin. I believe that it was adjustable via footpedals for yaw control. Even better the ramjets were much lighter than any engine you could afford as a hobbyist. That means more payload! I was impressed when I saw it because it is so simple and there is little to go wrong. Just the thing for an experimental pilot! The most basic model didn't even have an electric starter - you just cranked the rotor by hand until the ramjets fired! Anyway the data is probably around somewhere. If you're interested look it up. DrBob
    Last edited by DrBob; 12-27-2008 at 09:30 PM. Reason: forgot something!

Default Recent Heli Progress...

I have been chugging along, bit by bit on my heli project. I am getting closer to the testing stage. I need to make my rotor blades. I have just recently upgraded my 2D CNC software for my router table to 3D for the tidy introductory sum of $900 (and that's only because I already had the original $600 program) otherwise it would have cost me $2000. Here is some more pics to show my progress.
    Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Propane Forge

Default RE: More Recent Heli Progress...

Using the 3D program, here are some computer generated rotor blades I have been playing with. If this works, and I can actually make my own blades, it will have paid for the program.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Propane Forge

Monte.. I say this in with nothing but the best reguards and respect.. You're one crazy S.O.B. but then again , i'd be crazy enough to be your backup pilot. Maybe you cn fly into omaha on that thing and i'll buy beer, give ya aplace to crash before flying back the next day.

YOu sir are a trooper, most would have given up by now but you persevere and the progress is showing..

I was intrigued by the ramjet but... google said it's nothing more than a pulse jet engine.. never had god luck with those for thrust (anyone got any secrets/tips.. i've laways wanted a pulsejet that would power a go kart or small glider style craft I mean i want 200+ lbs of thrust, or at least 100 HP that i can some how convert and harness the power to drive a shaft

GO MONTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to see this thing in action, i got faith in ya bud!
    Last edited by turboglenn; 01-20-2009 at 09:45 AM.
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Smith MB55A-510 O/A setup
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Just about every other hand tool you can imagine

Can we not use the word "Crash"
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Propane Forge

Quote Originally Posted by monte55 View Post
    Can we not use the word "Crash"

Glenn, try to locate an APU from a Chinook. They're about 60# and produce 120hp of shaft rotation (to drive a hydraulic pump, so not much torque but a lot of rpm's). I think Leno had some guy on who made one into a scooter. LOUD is an understatement, but they make one heck of a power to weight ratio. They're designed to run on JP4, but you might get by with kerosene or #2.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Thumbs up

way cool.
    and just think of all the cool stuff you can make with the new 3D program. what great fun.
    you can start making wind mill generators now that you can make the blades the rest should be easy with a lil research. they are big $$ too. i looked into getting one for the house and saw the sticker $$ gotta be a cheaper way. all kinds of sites on the net that claim to hook ya up with plans that will have you " off the grid in no time" yea right. if only.

well best of luck with the flying machine.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES