Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Flying Project

Yes,it's water cooled. I don't have a radiator yet. I'm not sure if this engine has the power to do the job yet. While ground testing I'll connect a water hose to it. No sense in making a lot of stuff just to find out it won't work. I already had this engine so I thought it would be a good place to start. The engine has been modified but I don't know to what extent. A stock 440 is about 27 hp.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by monte55 View Post
    Yes,it's water cooled. I don't have a radiator yet. I'm not sure if this engine has the power to do the job yet. While ground testing I'll connect a water hose to it. No sense in making a lot of stuff just to find out it won't work. I already had this engine so I thought it would be a good place to start. The engine has been modified but I don't know to what extent. A stock 440 is about 27 hp.

I have a small radiator that would be nice for something small. It's the one that came off the dirtbike in my "shoe horn" thread in the projects area. It was on a liquid cooled 85cc 2-stroke. I'm putting a large air cooled 4 stroke in the frame instead so the radiator is just sitting there.

If nothing else i was thinking of using it for a home made water cooler, but i'm not too concerned about that as i don't have any money for a pump of new torches and hoses.

LEt me know if you're interested or want a pic.

Glenn
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Smith MB55A-510 O/A setup
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Just about every other hand tool you can imagine

MOnte.. I think it's a cool A$$ project. I was going to offer any machining you might need but reading through i think you've got that under wraps. Now just throw a bead on something so people can't b!tch about it's relativity
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45

Quote Originally Posted by turboglenn View Post
    MOnte.. I think it's a cool A$$ project. I was going to offer any machining you might need but reading through i think you've got that under wraps. Now just throw a bead on something so people can't b!tch about it's relativity
    There is some welding on this project that has been done already as on the mount for the rotor head assembly to be mounted to the mast. I appreciate your offer for machining and I may take you up on it for what I can not do. I have a small mill and lathe and so far have overcome. If at all possible I want to make every piece. It has always been my dream to make a flying machine
    that I built myself. It's kind of a mission. To start a project and job out all aspects of it would not put much pride in my pocket. That's just me. And yeah.........it is a kick a$$ project...at least to me it is. After all, the only one I need to impress is myself and if others like it.....GREAT!!.......Nick
    Thanks again for the offer.
    PS can you cut splines on a shaft?
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Propane Forge

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Hey Nick,
    It looks like a fun project. Will this type of "helicopter" autorotate in the event of engine failure?
    Nick
    Way back in 1968 I was a UH-1 {Huey** Crew Chief Here is what we were basically told about autorotation " If you ever get in a situation where autorotation is required here is the procedure" " Bend over, stick your head well between your legs and ..... Kiss you ass goodbye".
    Of course we were flying above the jungles of Vietnam and once you reach tree top level YOU ARE GOING TO CRASH autorotation or not!

No....it will not autorotate. There is not enough mass in the rotors and to autorotate you need to have rotor pitch control which this does not. It has fixed pitch rotors. This machine should only be flown at low altitudes that autorotation would be impractical anyways. Autorotation can be done with a
    heli with unit ability and proper training and can be safely done.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Propane Forge

Quote Originally Posted by monte55 View Post
    No....it will not autorotate. There is not enough mass in the rotors and to autorotate you need to have rotor pitch control which this does not. It has fixed pitch rotors. This machine should only be flown at low altitudes that autorotation would be impractical anyways. Autorotation can be done with a
    heli with unit ability and proper training and can be safely done
    Agreed, as long as the L.Z. is clear of obstructions. During Auto Rotation cyclical Movements are limited. Which leaves maneuvering to a clear area very limited especially if it is hydraulic systems failure causing the non maintenance of altitude.
    However. We/you are not talking high altitude flying with this machine you intend to build, and Auto rotation does as you suggest require collective and some pretty good altitude to even attempt to achieve, but I do agree that it would be pretty awesome to fly around. Never the less a very interesting concept and project of which I wish you well. I will be very interested in the final phases and if it actually can fly with your mechanical concepts
    Not saying it won`t mind ya, Hopefully it will.
    best of luck

NO spline cutting here Sounds like we have about the same equipment, i have a small mill and lathe as well. bigger than your hobby stuff, but it's only got a 14'' swing and headstock to tailstock at best is 21''.

Although it's a crude setup i have done some very precision work with it... well more than what my actuall engine machinist thought i would be able to.

I understand wanting to do it all and build everything yourself, I'm the same exact way! My goal however is to build an ultra-lite aircraft, but no heli-style projects.. a glide ratio of less than 1:1 isn't that good of odds IMO, but i can't wait to see yours in action
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45

Hi, Nick,

I've watched videos of like helicopters, and am wondering what method is used to change direction of the undercarriage. Is a controlled vane used to deflect downdraft?

I've launched a hang glider off of a mountaintop a few times... nothing quite matches the exhiliaration of flight. I'm eagerly following your build and looking forward to video of your getting airborne on your self-built flying machine. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy Jim View Post
    What size chain is that? Also, did you buy or make the large sprocket for it?
    The chain has 50VM on the links. Turns out is a 530 o-ring gold chain. I found this out when I was paying $13 for a master link. Oh well. At least I got the chain and sprockets off e bay pretty cheap.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Propane Forge