Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Flying Project

Default Flying Project

I saw this a while back and became very interested in it. It has counter rotating blades so no tail rotor is needed to compensate for torque.
    I am in communication with a gent in Belgium who is building a "backpack" helicopter. I'm trying to gather as much info as I can before starting construction. There are no plans.....just pictures. I had a Scorpion 1 heli back in the 80's. Repaired it but never flew it. This as you see is simple, it works, and no license is needed to fly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f09_yvcASLM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp0WnZ-4Tqg
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by monte55 View Post
    I saw this a while back and became very interested in it. It has counter rotating blades so no tail rotor is needed to compensate for torque.
    I am in communication with a gent in Belgium who is building a "backpack" helicopter. I'm trying to gather as much info as I can before starting construction. There are no plans.....just pictures. I had a Scorpion 1 heli back in the 80's. Repaired it but never flew it. This as you see is simple, it works, and no license is needed to fly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f09_yvcASLM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp0WnZ-4Tqg
    Hey Nick,
    It looks like a fun project. Will this type of "helicopter" autorotate in the event of engine failure?
    Nick

No.........the rotor does not have enough mass and the rotor is fixed pitch.
    To autorotate in a helicopter which is normally operating with a positive pitch
    per the collective control....when loss of power happens the pilot will go negative pitch to keep rotor RPM up like an autogyro and when at the proper
    altitude and start a flair pull positive pitch per the collective control and settle to the surface. You have one chance to do this and do it correct. I relate it to holding a stick shift automobile heading uphill and letting it roll back and when it starts to roll back letting out the clutch to hold it there if that makes any sense. I would never fly this out of ground effect (approx 5-8feet) unless over water or it proved to be extremely reliable. You really gain nothing by flying this higher than to clear ground obstacles. I'm ok with that. Drive thru at the bank could be a problem

One of the videos shows this flying about 15-20 feet off the ground. I would not want to fall that far if there was a problem. But Man.........how cool would this be?????
    Last edited by monte55; 08-02-2008 at 02:23 PM. Reason: added text
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Propane Forge

Without a doubt it would be fun. The other concern I would have is that the rotor appeared to be close to the pilot's head with no safety device. To me this is also a worry. Where did you get your helicopter knowledge...you seem to be well versed in the physics and mechanics of helicopter flight.
    Nick

Thumbs up

i would think the one used in the james bond flick with the little cabin and one big rotter that flew more like a plane then a hello would be an easier build. i suspect you would need a license and inspection to fly it though. however it dose auto rotate to allow for safe landing should it's motor die in use. the back pack fan with a para-shoot thing is also cool and again more on the safe side should the motor take a dump.
    wonder what the build $$$ would be for the lil james bond version ???
    be shore to keep us posted on your build.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Without a doubt it would be fun. The other concern I would have is that the rotor appeared to be close to the pilot's head with no safety device. To me this is also a worry. Where did you get your helicopter knowledge...you seem to be well versed in the physics and mechanics of helicopter flight.
    Nick
    The rotor being close is no real problem unless you feel the urge to raise your arm to wave at someone
    If a rotor broke loose it would be inclined to go up and out. The out of balance issue would be the real problem.
    My knowledge of helis..................well, .....early 70's I purchased a set of plans for a homebuilt helicopter called a Choppy powered by a 650 cc Triumph
    motorcycle engine. I think I still have the plans somewhere. I realized quickly
    I didn't have enough knowledge, tools, time, etc to do this project properly.
    The idea though has never left my mind. So, I built a hovercraft in mid to late
    70's. Engines and propellers seemed to feed my yearn for a short while. The hovercraft is on this forum somewhere. Ok sold it. Early 80's.............found a Scorpion 1 single place homebuilt heli in need of repair cheap. Paid $600...
    put in a few hundred more and many hours of labor and had everything going
    except it needed a main rotor. I sold it that way and made enough profit to purchase by my Cessna 150 a month later for cash which I aquired my pilots license in. During the heli stage I did a lot of reading etc. I had many manuals on the Scorpion and learned a lot. Those guys are gone now but not the dream. So another project is in order. yeaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!
    Last edited by monte55; 12-16-2008 at 07:26 AM.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Propane Forge

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    i would think the one used in the james bond flick with the little cabin and one big rotter that flew more like a plane then a hello would be an easier build. i suspect you would need a license and inspection to fly it though. however it dose auto rotate to allow for safe landing should it's motor die in use. the back pack fan with a para-shoot thing is also cool and again more on the safe side should the motor take a dump.
    wonder what the build $$$ would be for the lil james bond version ???
    be shore to keep us posted on your build.
    Bond flew an autogyro. The main rotor is not powered and act like a wing for
    lift as it rotates with forward air speed supplied by the engine and prop behind the pilot. If they loose the pusher engine, they can still land safely
    if they have been taught properly and glide in. Gliders do it every day.
    There is a 1969 Bensen autogyro on e bay for about $2200 with no bids.
    Oh yeah..................Bond had missles and stuff.........cool!!!!!! Ya know these add to the cost
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Propane Forge

Quote Originally Posted by monte55 View Post
    The rotor being close is no real problem unless you feel the urge to raise your arm to wave at someone
    If a rotor broke loose it would be inclined to go up and out. The out of balance issue would be the real problem.
    My knowledge of helis..................well, .....early 70's I purchaced a set of plans for a homebuilt helicopter called a Choppy powered by a 650 cc Triumph
    motorcycle engine. I think I still have the plans somewhere. I realized quickly
    I didn't have enough knowledge, tools, time, etc to do this project properly.
    The idea though has never left my mind. So, I built a hovercraft in mid to late
    70's. Engines and propellers seemed to feed my yearn for a short while. The hovercraft is on this forum somewhere. Ok sold it. Early 80's.............found a Scorpion 1 single place homebuilt heli in need of repair cheap. Paid $600...
    put in a few hundred more and many hours of labor and had everything going
    except it needed a main rotor. I sold it that way and made enough profit to purchace by my Cessna 150 a month later for cash which I aquired my pilots license in. During the heli stage I did a lot of reading etc. I had many manuals on the Scorpion and learned a lot. Those guys are gone now but not the dream. So another project is in order. yeaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!
    Hey Nick,
    The same for me I had a private pilots license and enjoyed flying. I flew a Skipper and a 152...then I had kids and could not justify my hobby. As far as the gyros go I have flown in a two place gyro...there were two popular brands at the time, his was a Benson. I believe they were Benson and Air Command does that sound correct? I will tell you that flight was ten times more exciting than my fixed wing flights. Basically you have a seat (which doubled as a fuel tank) under your butt and a stick of aluminum between your legs. These were Rotax, Subaru or VW powered. Keep me posted if you decide on the gyro.
    Nick

whats that have to do with welding this site is going to s--t
    is so slow

Quote Originally Posted by BC Iron works View Post
    whats that have to do with welding this site is going to s--t
    is so slow
    what are you trying to say?
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig