Hybrid View

Default Cast Iron Garden Art - Part two

A couple of weeks ago I asked about welding some old
    cast-iron stove parts... I finally got around to doing the
    project... As I said, it was some old stove pieces. Since I
    don't have the right stuff to properly weld cast iron, I decided
    to go ahead and do it the wrong way... I mig-welded it with
    my MM140. For my purposes -- something to hold itself together
    while slowly rusting away in the garden -- it seems to work.
    For those that care, a fairly high power setting and medium
    wire speed seemed to work least poorly. also, i tried to do
    short 'spots' of welding, scattered about the thing, in order to
    prevent too much heat from building up at any one spot.

Anyway, see the attached pix (I hope -- first time I've posted pix...)

First is the parts prior to doing work -- a bit dirty

Second is the cross I made out of them -- credit where credit's due,
    my wife designed it, I 'merely' made it (can't see much welding there
    since it was all welded from the back. the bright spots are all where i
    ground off the rust)

the third picture shows some of the cracking that did occur.

and the fourth is one of the less-bad beads i managed to get.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up

glad it worked out for you. when you are doing artsy-fartsy stuff for the yard you can get away with a lot you normaly would not. all part of the fun.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES