Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Tig root pass on Carbon Steel

Looking for helpfull advice,Im an average tig welder ,but trying to learn a new technique on feeding the wire from the inside.Which they sayhelps brake down the walls better.I ran a couple three coupons 3" too day trying the new style. 1st was terrible,2nd was better,bottom was good top wasnt so good .I couldnt figure out if my angle wasnt just right if I wasnt sticking the filler through enough or my amperage to high.Im use to laying the filler metal in from the top.but theres still some guess unless you run a keyhole.I liked the way the bottom of the coupon filled in nicely by feeding from the inside,wish i could get the top.Any advice would be appreciated,tommorow gonna step up too 6" and see if it helps finding the propper angle.

There is no need to feed the wire on the inside once you get half way up the sides. Gravity takes over then and helps the weld pull down and break the walls down.The gap usually closes anyways by the time you weld the bottom quarters up to allow for the wire to be feed through the gap.I still like the gap though to be a little larger than the wire to help push the metal in so I usually switch to a smaller diameter wire or grind it open a little.
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, XMT 350 vs
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

Thanks,for the reply.....That really helped becaus when i was trying to feed the top on the inside gravity was takeing its course.I'll run one tommorow and try your way.And my gap did close up on the top the last one I run.Ill try the matabo if thats the case tommorow...Thanks again....

I tig weld boiler tubing for a living. I work in a code shop and all inconel is 100% x-ray and everything else ranges from 15% to 100% x-ray . I say forget feeding from inside unless it is absolutely necesary . I much prefer walkin the cup on the root . I like a wide gap if it's a open butt with a decent land and feed my wire on the sides. That makes for a nice wide flat root on the I.D. . One thing about feeding on the inside if you have one bad stroke of the torch it can be hard to clean up your boo boo , and I've also seen folks have there gap close up with the wire stuck inside .When I run into a hairy situation I don't hesitate to grab a co-worker that has a good tig hand and have them feed you wire in those difficult situations. The best tig welder is the one that has the most tricks in his or her bag . With that being said if you tig for a living you will sooner or later run into a situation that will dictate feeding from the inside but for test coupons and everyday common welding situations forget the fancy stuff and save it for when there is absolutely no other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Showdog75 View Post
    I tig weld boiler tubing for a living. I work in a code shop and all inconel is 100% x-ray and everything else ranges from 15% to 100% x-ray . I say forget feeding from inside unless it is absolutely necesary . I much prefer walkin the cup on the root . I like a wide gap if it's a open butt with a decent land and feed my wire on the sides. That makes for a nice wide flat root on the I.D. . One thing about feeding on the inside if you have one bad stroke of the torch it can be hard to clean up your boo boo , and I've also seen folks have there gap close up with the wire stuck inside .When I run into a hairy situation I don't hesitate to grab a co-worker that has a good tig hand and have them feed you wire in those difficult situations. The best tig welder is the one that has the most tricks in his or her bag . With that being said if you tig for a living you will sooner or later run into a situation that will dictate feeding from the inside but for test coupons and everyday common welding situations forget the fancy stuff and save it for when there is absolutely no other way.
    Well said, the only thing i do differnt is i take an 1/8" or slightly larger gap wirth knife edges, walk the cup. filler wire angle is critical it shouldnt be to tangent with the joint.
    WELDCKR
    Miller XMT 350
    Miller Spectrum 3080
    Hobart Beta-Mig
    Lincoln Square wave 175
    Victor Jouneyman
    Whole bunch of Dewalt stuff

Default Thanks for the reply

I have to take a test with copper nickel coupons. I ve never heard of such.Anyone famielar with this metal? Ive heard it was trashy welding but thats the pipeing there putting in Navy ships.It must be tough there paying good money for welders to do this work.Its like 25 per hourand 15 an hour per deiem With all the over time you want.Thats double time on Sunday.I may not have the experience it takes but I will have some when I get through takeing the test...Ive pipe welded alot but with 5p root,Thats different from tig root .Because I havent used the procedure everyday.And those that tig everyday would probally have the same results with the 5p root.

I only feed the wire on carbon when tig welding,I found out a long time ago that keyhole the root in works best for me on alloys,Its the only way i put them in.That alloy is trashy,the filler does not flow well and hard to see the puddle not a good test to take when still trying to learn tig root.keyholeing it works well on these alloys because it leaves no doubt the walls are broken down.As far as my 5 p roots go Its been so long I believe a drunk monkey could put one in better.Its just not used hardly at chemical and power plants and I havent done one in years.
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, XMT 350 vs
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

I weld inconel everyday and can tell you for fact if you don't put the wire to the root you will crack the weld . Inconel and most other alloys from my experience will flow and wet out alot better when you keep the filler coming steady . Most of the trash comes from people pulling the molten filler wire away from the sheilding gas coverage and contaminating it .Dry wash on alloys is a NO NO don't let anyone fool you and I'm speaking mainly of the root. If you must touch up something on the cap by dry wash you'll be ok . I think it's best not to start bad habits as there hard to break .