Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Welding Aluminum Irragation Pipe

need a little information on this. I have a Trailblazer 302 and I need to weld on some irragation pipe. the pipe is thin about 1/32 if not thiner. I need to keep it all portable. Would the Miller 251D-1 High Frequency box be the best to weld this thin aluminum pipe? I tried a Miller 30A Spoolgun but it would blow a hole in it.
    Thanks for the help.

Lefty Lucas

Lefty,

With pipe that thin, sounds to me like your only option would be to use a Dynasty 200 and tig it.

The hi-freq box might work, but I think it'd be a crapshoot. Controlling the heat would be the issue. If you don't already have the hi-freq equipment (and I'm assuming you don't since you'd probably already tried it), I don't think I'd make the investment. Would it be possible to borrow/rent a Dynasty, if this is a once in a blue moon project.

Just my .02

sounds like your only choice realy. unless you have a small inverter to hookup. good luck, i'm shore some of the guys with a lot more expereance will jump in here soon to help out. have you given a 1/16" stick a try?? that might be an option. but i'm way to new at stick to give that advice, but it would seem a fast travel with a 1/16" rod might get it done.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

I do this stuff once a year in the shop with tig. Farmer brings me whatever is broke, rotted from the year before. It is very thin to start with & corroded. Needless to say it is a pain but I weld patches over whatever needs it. I always go well past the damaged area to get to good material. Never used a HF box though. If you don't have a tig then rent or borrow one. I use 1/16 4043 wire. Most of the time it looks pretty good but some spots just wind up ugly due to the contamination. Can't really grind it out to start with because it is so thin. I clean it the best I can with a wire brush & then weld.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Default Huh?

MMW, why wouldn't you use a HF box? Just curious since I'm in the market. I realize it doesn't have some of the features a 200DX has but that's what Miller recommends with the TB302.
    Matt
    Matt Adams A&P, IA
    Trailblazer 302
    Dialarc HF

I think the best way to weld the thin pipe would be the Dynasty 200 also, but at $2600 I was hoping the High Fq. box would do the job. It's easer coming up with $900. I'm going to call AirGas today just to see what they say.
    Thanks for the help again.

Lefty Lucas

might get away with using DC+ scratch start if the al is thin enough. You will need a big tungsten and water cooled torch but no hf. maybe someone helping with preheat.

WOW!

I'd sure like to hear more about "that" procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by Aircraft Welder View Post
    MMW, why wouldn't you use a HF box? Just curious since I'm in the market. I realize it doesn't have some of the features a 200DX has but that's what Miller recommends with the TB302.
    Matt
    I've never used one so I can't comment on it. My TB is DC only.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Lefty Lucas,
    I repair some of this every spring, I use a 302Trailblaser with a 251HF box and a thumb control on a 17Weldcraft torch with 1/16" 2% tung. It works fine but a lot of this pipe is junk. I use the same setup for aluminum boat repair and welding pipe. I use a water cooled torch when the pipe is over 1/4" thick. I can't remember the number but it uses the same guts as the 17.