Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Shop Lights on low ceiling

I am using one of my garages for a shop area. It has a low ceiling, paper backed insulation packed between the joists, and there is a garage door. When the garage door is up, there is very little space between the door and the ceiling.

Can I mount florescent light fixtures directly to the ceiling joists. Should I put up a piece of paneling to keep the light fixtures away from the paper backing?

Thanks,

Jerry

i would say yes and yes. it would be best to add some ttthing between the pspper and the light but its not so hot that you couldnt flush mont it.
    a 1"X6" pice of ine or even a strip of plywood would be a good idea. with the price of drywall plywood would be cheaper.
    the balests can get hot but i dont see it getting hot enough to cause a problem even without the backing but i would still add it anyway.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

I agree with James, probably not necessary, but better to be safe than sorry, if it will fit.

Just but a light fixture made to be in direct contact with insulation.
    TJ______________________________________

I have a sheet of paneling that is not being used, I can put that up to shield the paper backing and then some 1 x 6 or 1 x 4 between the ficture and the paneling.

Thanks,

Jerry

Default hanging fixture

Do you have enough room to put a bracket from the truss and drop the light about an inch or so from the insulation? or for that matter can you use a chain and drop it down just a couple of links? Back when I still did a lot of auto body work we placed lights around the walls and on the garage door itself so we didn't get a lot of shadow on the project we were working on. When the door was down we got light from all sides and when it was up we got that extra light from above. Just a couple of suggestions, Hope I helped. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en