Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

A similar (but not identical) clamp is eight bucks (less when it's on sale), if you're okay with a Chinese knock-off. I have two of them that I use on my drill press.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=36221
    Last edited by Jack Olsen; 09-13-2009 at 11:43 PM.

ya i have seen those at HF. i was wondering where to get the vise grip brand. i i think now im just gonna go with the big 11" vise grips for my table i shouldn't have a problem with those. I will i have to get a few of those for my drill press. do you also use a vise?

burnt hands,

i was talking with the guys at work about my table and they pointed out my screws will back out once i start heating things and banging on the table. do you have this problem? are your screws tapped or do they use a nut? i was planning on tapping mine. maybe use high temp lock tight and either a torque wrench or an impact gun to tighten the screws.

Andy
    Diversion 165
    MillerMatic 211

Andy,

The bolts holding the plates to my frame are socket head hex screws.
    The frame is tapped for the hex head screws.

Since I don't intend to pound on this table, I actually used anti-seize compound on the threads so I can easily move the plates around when I need to. I have had so many cases of frozen bolts that I do this as a matter of habit. Never had any bolts loosen, usually it's just the opposite.

I have my old plain table top which I can hammer and pound on and I also have an anvil for really heavy work. This way I have the best of precision and brute force choices.

I have added a piece of stainless sheet to the area I work on to keep from losing small parts thru the openings in the table. Saves lots of cussing.

Here is a photo of a dog sculpture I am making for a local shelter fund raiser.
    This is my small contribution as they are wonderful people.
    Hope it brings in a good price for them.

The head is not finished yet but I will send completed photos.

If you look carefully, you can see a cat sculpture I repaired for a friend.
    This is a blatent Chinese copy of those made by Yardbirds.
    While Yardbirds uses auto lug nuts for the eyes, the copy uses a iron casting.
    The copycats also use a casting for the feet while Yardbirds uses auro rocker arms and ball bearings for their feet.
    I guess they plan on selling lots of knock-offs if they went to the trouble of tooling up cast iron molds for these.

take care,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, Miller Dynasty 350, Hypertherm 1000, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.:

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Burnt hands,

that helps a lot about the screws. i was planning to use some 3/8s-16 x1/2 low profile allan head screws.

I'm a little concerned with my plates warping but i don't wanna spend too much more on metal since I'm buying it all new. can you see my plates warping? i'm willing to go to 1/2" but it'd have to say that's it

that's some pretty good looking art work you got going on there.

Andy
    Diversion 165
    MillerMatic 211

Andyman,

I have not had a problem with my plate warping.
    This includes my old 34 year table top which is 5/8" thick as well as the new skeleton table pieces.

I may have been lucky since I mainly do tig but I believe warping is due more to welding legs or supports to a table top.
    I welded pieces of 2" x 2" angle to my old table top to allow me to attach legs to it. No warping although I used bolts to attach the legs.

Then 33 years later, I ground off the angles so I could put the old table next to my new table. Still no warping.

Just took out one of the socket head cap screws (sorry for the earlier wrong description ) to check the threads and found out they are metric!. Another reason to use anti-seize compound as I don't have metric taps.

If you want to get a good feeling on how much money you are saving by making your own table, go here:

http://www.bluco.com/welding/catalogd16/tables.html

When I started my search, I went to this company. Good German Engineering but the 40" x 40" table with 16 mm (5/8") holes was around $7000.00.
    The fancy bolts for it were about $100 each.

Plus the table design is one piece so if you damage it, - big $$$$$$$$$$$$ !
    In addition, one piece construction means very heavy to move and ship.

But for the right application, I guess it is worth it.

Good luck with your table.

Please post some photos as you go.
    Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, Miller Dynasty 350, Hypertherm 1000, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.:

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

i am saving a lot huh? i think my cost is about 400 right now.

I still have much to learn about metal working. I'm only 19, i just happen to have a very odd hobby none of my buddies get that is having a welding/machine shop in my parents garage.

it could be a few weeks before i start welding pieces. i gotta wait for my work to get a big enough order to get my material. then find some free time to cut the pieces at work between college and working my 16 hours a week. then there's lots of drilling. then hope i weld the frame right don't have much experience fabricating yet but i'll figure it out its something i enjoy doing or i know enough people to get some help with it.
    Diversion 165
    MillerMatic 211

have to say awesome table

pixie

you talking about burnt hand's table???
    Diversion 165
    MillerMatic 211

my table is 1/2" plate.

I just added a 1"-thick bench to my garage. It's 30"x50", so it weighed 510 pounds, which made moving it by myself kind of a challenge. Read about the new bench here.