Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

where do you get the half vise grip clamps at?

i'm considering making a table from 6" wide 3/8s steel flat bar just a 48"x38"table . i dont have the help to start moving around a few hundred pounds of plate in my garage so flat bar is easier to manage.

Andy

andyman,

The clamps are designed to work with the Buildpro table.
    You could use them if your table has a 5/8" diameter hole as the clamp fits into this size hole. Needs about 1/2" thickness to work properly.

The table weighs 900 lbs assembled.
    I took off the 10 plates and the legs when I moved it in to my garage.
    This brought the frame down to about 400 lbs.

Then I put the legs on and added the plates.
    Used a hydraulic engine hoist to save my back.

Here is website www.stronghandtools.com.
    Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, Miller Dynasty 350, Hypertherm 1000, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.:

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

the clamps fit into a precision 5/8 hole?
    not threaded huh?
    how well does a vise grip clamp fit in your opening?

i'm sure my frame wont weigh 400lbs i think im gonna use 2x2 3/16 wall for the frame. cant use thicker wall since my welder only will do 3/16

Andy

andyman,

The clamp has a "peg leg" post which fits into the 5/8" hole.

Like you, I thought it would be threaded but the clamps really work and the hole is not precision machined, it's just drilled.

My woodworking friend saw my table and said it was just like his $600 beechwood woodworking table which has similar clamps that fit into holes in the table..

I said " Wish you had shown me your table a month ago".

Of course after I got my table, I think about all sorts of other cheaper options.

Since you are getting started in your table design, how about using 2" x 2" perforated square tubing for a frame?

This is the stuff that is used for stop sign posts.

Lots of holes for adjustment here.

Maybe even perforated metal for the top surface if it is available thick enough for your purposes.

Good luck
    Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, Miller Dynasty 350, Hypertherm 1000, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.:

I like the idea, but I'm pretty sure most municipal sign posts have 3/8" holes (on 1" centers). They're also typically galvanized, which might not be ideal for a welding table.

i would think most perforated material would be galvanized since its intended use is for street sign and things of the nature.
    but it would be cost effective just run around town grabbing street sign post.
    i figure the whole table may cost somewhere around $200-$300 ish.
    better than buying the stronghand for 2K i believe when im just a hobby welder.
    no offense burnt hands besides you needed it for a job anyways.

so your saying if i use a regualer 5/8s drill bit the clamps will fit no problem?
    do you have to order them online or is there a store that sells them???

I'll have to get around to designing the table in 3-D CAD and post some pics

Andy

only 350 lbs assembled

andyman,

Here is the link to the buildpro site.

The clamp sells for about $25 but you could probably make your own easily.
    Plus with your table design, you can use plain C clamps which are a lot cheaper.

I would go the site and get ideas from their tooling.

http://www.stronghandtools.com/pdf/b...Pro_Lit_LQ.pdf

As I said, I was under a time crunch so I went with their table. I love it but like everyone here, I would prefer to build my own stuff for the challenge and bragging rights.

Having said that, I have kicked myself many times after making a fixture and then seeing a commercially made product.

Now I try to look on the web for ideas or products I can adapt before I go to all the work to make my own.

I like your design for your table. One suggestion I got from my table is to make the hole spacing on your tabe such that you could cantelever one or more slats to increase the depth of your table for bigger work. My table allows for that but my garage does not make it easy.

Of course one could tinker forever with the design instead of actually getting down to building it.

have fun !

andyman,

forgot the photo of the clamp
    Attached Images Attached Images

Burnt hands,

i tested if a normal large size i believe the 11" vise grip clamp could fit in my opening. it will so long as i flip it upside meaning the release part is up in the air. just like the half clamp picture you posted. it can reach like 4" in so i wont have a problem with a handful of those and maybe some 5"+ clamps for when i run into the supports.

I think i get what your saying cantilevering. i saw on your table you have 4 cross members that the plates screw into. your saying you can move several plates out where you only have bolts in 3 of the 4 or even 2 of the cross members?

I'm still at home with the parents and the garage has a lot of stuff in it. it has become more organized since i got my welder my dad like that lol. i actually haven't made a table so far since i haven't had a spot for it but i got a great spot for it now.

Oh and i figure i can save a few bucks and use the open of the box on my table as a receiving trailer hitch for my vise.

its not time to shoot the engineer and get on with it yet i still need the cash for the materials i should get it this week.

Andy
    Last edited by andyman; 09-13-2009 at 08:58 PM.
    Diversion 165
    MillerMatic 211