Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Welding Table Top - thickness??

I know, thicker is better - I drool at some of the big plates people have used. But I'm just a garage welder, so I'll be making a folding table using some off-the-shelf legs and a top with angle iron braces. With the angle iron, warping shouldn't be a problem, so I would like to keep the plate as thin as possible for portability. What do people think would be a good minimum size? 1/4" thick enough? Could I even get away with 3/16"? Thanks for your input.

Tim

well you can weld on a piece of sheet metal if you want. whether or not it makes sense really depends on what you plan to weld on that table. if all you're doing is small thin-wall or sheet work then yeah 3/16" is fine. but if you want to clamp a piece of 3/16" wall 3" square tube down so it stays square during welding, then a sheet-metal table top isn't going to cut it.

personally i wouldn't use anything less than 1/4" plate for a table. my table is 3' x 6' x 1/2" thick.
    miller dynasty 350
    miller spectrum 1000

Smile Research "Welding Tables" in the threads . . .

If you can not for what ever reason "have" a thick table top . . . Look at all the skeleton type tables in here . . . Built from heavy angle, channel & square tube . . . Then you can still have a "plate" type table for lighter stuff....

Some of the most experienced people you will find in here use a skeleton type table ONLY . . . and swear by them . . . and their work shows it clearly that anything can be built on them.

I have a 30" X 42" X 5/8" table but have plans to build a skeleton table . . .

Perhaps there is a better name for what I call a skeleton table, but I'm sure you get my meaning . . .
    Millermatic 251
    Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"
    Milwaulkee Grinder 4 1/2"
    Clark Grinder 4 1/2"

Had not thought about such a table - not a bad idea at all though. I will try to locate some examples. Got any favorites?

Tim
    Last edited by TimS; 07-22-2008 at 11:40 AM.

You mean like this?

Been using it for about 6 months and never regret not getting a piece of plate.

The wheels are temporary. I just needed them so I could use the table as a mobile base for a jin pole style crane to raise a couple I beams.

I used some 6" channel they had in 5' drops at the yard for cheap. Spaced them @ 1.125" gaps so clamps would have lots of room and I can use 1" tubing for any fixtures or jigs. All the slats come off so making odd shaped things that drop below the plane of the surface is a breeze or if one gets cut up too bad to fix, I can just replace it.

It works great for cutting things with the 8" metal cutting saw too. You just clamp on a straight edge and slice it off.

Last edited by Fishy Jim; 07-22-2008 at 02:52 PM.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Fishy, I really like your Idea, I am a little slow, but what sort of 8" saw are you using to do the cutoff, could you do a pic of your setup, it looks like it is a breez to do accurate cuts, best regards,Paul
    More Spark Today Please

Quote Originally Posted by TimS View Post
    Had not thought about such a table - not a bad idea at all though. I will try to locate some examples. Got any favorites?

Tim
    here's one I made
    it's made from 1" sq tube, about 2'x3'. the top tubes
    are on about 6" centers. it's great for clamping things
    to any which way i want/need. i did not put casters
    on it -- it's light enough that i just carry it where i
    need/want it.

if you go this route - lay out all the top pieces
    on as flat a surface as you can and then tack them from
    what will be the bottom. that way you'll end up with a fairly
    flat plane to use as a reference for squaring things.

i do need to get a smallish piece of plate for use as a
    solid top -- i've done a few small things where a solid surface
    would have been better. if/when i do it, it would be a smallish
    piece (maybe 6"x12" max) that is removable.

i do light home/art/etc types of things so a huge beefy table
    is not needed.

f
    Attached Images Attached Images

What are you guys using to treat your welding table... Leaving it as is.. bare steel, using stainless, or primer and paint... or just using it everyday.. "rolling stone grows no moss theory"?