Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Aluminum battery box

Just learned how to TIG a few months ago, starting to get more into aluminum now. Taught myself by watching videos on YouTube, haha. Using a Diversion 165 Tig, 1/4" aluminum.

I made this box with some spare aluminum laying around and some pre-angled aluminum I picked up at the hardware store. This is the biggest aluminum project I have tackeled yet.

Thoughts, constructive criticism, tips? All welcome here!

FRom what I can see it looks OK, but the pics are too small to see much detail......or maybe it's just my eyes. I need to get a 72" monitor!
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Quote Originally Posted by nocheepgas View Post
    FRom what I can see it looks OK, but the pics are too small to see much detail......or maybe it's just my eyes. I need to get a 72" monitor!
    Click on them and they should enlarge.

I think the beads that it appears you weaved don't look as good as the others you just dipped the filler in with out the weave.Otherwise I think your getting the hang of it pretty well.
    Dynasty 200DX "Blue Lightning"
    Bernard 3500ss water-cooler
    Rockwell vertical mill
    Beverly Shear B-3
    Beverly Shear JR
    Home-made English wheel
    Milwaukee Porta-band
    " Sawz-all
    Tennsmith 36" stomp shear
    Fixer upper 1968 Redface Lincoln sa200
    Powcon 300st

Quote Originally Posted by Showdog75 View Post
    I think the beads that it appears you weaved don't look as good as the others you just dipped the filler in with out the weave.Otherwise I think your getting the hang of it pretty well.
    I agree 100% ... the only reason I opted to do the weave was mainly because I have never tried it before on anything (mild, or stainless).

I dont think the welds that I did with just dipping look too bad though, for a rookie...trying for that stack of dimes look ya know, haha.

did you preheat or use helium in order to do 1/4 with the diversion?
    Diversion 165
    MillerMatic 211

Quote Originally Posted by andyman View Post
    did you preheat or use helium in order to do 1/4 with the diversion?
    No preheating and its 100% argon.

widersturbo,

You did ask.

Beads appear to be very consistent. That's good.

You're exceeding the capacity of the machine. Beads are cold, with little penetration to the base metal. Was even more apparent in another of your photos, which showed a tubing weld (which I think failed).

Properly welding aluminum 1/4" thick, and with the "mass" you're dealing with, requires more amps than the Diversion can put out. Preheating and argon/helium mixes can only go so far in "helping out" the welding machine.

If it was your intent to be doing this type work on a regular basis, and want "quality welds", you should be thinking Sync 200/250 or Dynasty 200.

Your technique seems to be coming along fine. You're just asking the machine to do something it was never intended to do.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

Quote Originally Posted by SundownIII View Post
    widersturbo,

You did ask.

Beads appear to be very consistent. That's good.

You're exceeding the capacity of the machine. Beads are cold, with little penetration to the base metal. Was even more apparent in another of your photos, which showed a tubing weld (which I think failed).

Properly welding aluminum 1/4" thick, and with the "mass" you're dealing with, requires more amps than the Diversion can put out. Preheating and argon/helium mixes can only go so far in "helping out" the welding machine.

If it was your intent to be doing this type work on a regular basis, and want "quality welds", you should be thinking Sync 200/250 or Dynasty 200.

Your technique seems to be coming along fine. You're just asking the machine to do something it was never intended to do.
    I was actually wrong...it is 1/8" aluminum. I dont mind criticism, it helps me fix my problems, only to become better at what I am trying to accomplish.

What tubing weld are you referring to?

widersturbo,

Photo was of a tube joint (looked to be about 90 deg). Popped up in the related images when I clicked on your first image to enlarge it. May not have been one of your's but it popped up when I clicked on your image.

Regardless whether the material you're dealing with is 1/8" or 1/4", the beads still look cold to me. Almost as if you were melting the filler with the torch rather than letting the puddle do the work. Really apparent in the photo that showed the tab you welded on.

When you're dealing with that much material (the mass of the plate) you're pushing a machine that has a 20% duty cycle at 150A.

What amp output were you using if you don't mind my asking?

PS: Went back and checked the photo I was talking about. Think the direct link to it is http://img442.imageshack.us/img4

If that link doesn't work, try clicking on the left arrow down in the related images below your photo. Comes up for me on the 4th click.
    Last edited by SundownIII; 10-01-2009 at 06:40 PM.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands