Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Advice needed for Flatbed installation

I have been asked by a friend to help with the installation of a steel flatbed he purchased onto his '96 Chevy 1ton Dually. The Flatbed has two 4" C-channels on edge 36" on center running the length of it's underside. The 1 ton Chevy's frame rails are not parallel, they are 34 1/2" on center at the rear of the chasis, and 41 1/2" at the back of the cab. My first thought is to weld additional 4" channel on the bottom of the flatbed outboard of the existing channel at the rear, and inboard of the existing channel as it approaches the cab. Creating sort of a box tube of sufficient width to always have material above the truck frame. Then u-bolt timber between the two. I would appreciate any ideas for a better/simpler fix.

thanks,
    Woodman

Question: Is it possible to remove the existing channels on the flatbed and install new ones that match the footprint of the chassis?

If so, it seems that you may be able to cut off the channel and use the same pieces to match the new footprint.
    5 welding Rigs
    14 various shop weld machines
    150x80 shop full of metal working tools

What about putting a few "sleepers" across the frame rails, if it doesn't raise the flatbed too high.

Default Flat bed

If you like, checkout my service truck that I built. You can scroll through the postings to find pics from start to finish. You can see how I built the frame to the truck. You have to go through some pages to see more pics. I think it is still on page two and listed as "Build Your Own Service Truck".
    Millermatic 210
    Syncrowave 200
    Spectrum 625 X-treme
    Hobart Champion 16 W/
    Miller 8VS Suitcase
    Miller 3035 Spool Gun
    Tons of Tools
    Microwave
    Laptop and Printer
    Speakers in the Back for all to hear Sirius Radio!