Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default new Bobcat 250, oil change question

have the kohler engine
    seeing mixed answers about then to change oil. Does it need to be changed after 5-10 hrs? or wait to 100.

also read the synthetic oil is better for the high rpm engines, anyone use royal purple?

thanks

dave

I would recommend the 5-10 hour first change, and make sure and change the filter too, you never know how well the factory did cleaning filings and machining dirt out of the engine during assembly.

As to the oil type, everyone has their own opinions. Personally on my Trailblazer I started using synthetic after the first 100 hrs.
    Trailblazer 302
    Lincoln SP-135-T
    Hobart Stickmate AC/DC
    Smith torch
    Spoolmatic 30A

Synthetics are not going to hurt a small engine, what oil did you put in it at start up? I am not real **** about engine oil, I would change it soon after new, I wouldn't have a stroke about it being 5 or 10 hrs or 50 for that matter, when you get a chance after a week do it to it but they are so clean to start with it ain't gonna mean squat. If I was running in a filthy hole it would get more, if it sat a lot I might ignore the actual and go by time of the year if I felt like it. I got one with years, less than 25 hrs. When it hits 50 I gonna change. If I was running constant or in crappy winter conditions with lots of starts it would effect how I felt about maint. Being a new engine its nice and tight, oil, especially synths will last a long time, probably run it a thousand hours and never know the difference or suffer from lack of lube.

thanks for the replys

dave

Did you happen to get an owners manual with it? Duh check it. If not they are available here at Miller free to down load. Use it.

Steve, this stuff ain't in the manual.

I did my Kohler at 10 minutes...yup, 10 minutes, 10 hrs, 50 hrs and 100 hrs. Next change will be at 200 hrs and synthetic will be used at that change. At the 10 minute change, I took a lot of alu crap out of the oil. Glad that stuff wasn't bouncing around the crankcase for 10 hours.
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Engine driven welder right? You get one manual tells how to use the welder. You should have gotten another manual for the motor. Its in the manual for the motor. If you did not get the manual for the motor then get it or cry foul. A case in point. We got a new Miller Big 40g with a Contenintal motor. We got two manuals. One for the welder and one for the motor. At any rate Here is what I recommend... New welder, run 100 hours and change oil and filter. I recommend Valvoline or Havoline 10-30. Then change oil every 100 hours after that. If it were my welder that is what I would do as it would run for 18 hours a day. Your milage may vary.

OOOPPPY. If engine driven welder is water cooled, then the 10-30 is fine. If engine is air cooled I would use a straight weight oil for ambient temperture. The air cooled engines run a tish hotter so straight weights apply. Oil is cheaper than welders so when in doubt change it out.

Like I said, this stuff isn't in the manuals. It comes from engine shops and mechs that say do the early changes for best results. This subject has been beat to death here many, many times.

FWIW, Kohler does NOT recommend straight weight oil in their engines. They have a history of valve troubles associated with straight weights. 10-W-30 is the approved weight for the Kohler.
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Good info update for the kohler oil recommendation. I still think he shoulda got a manual for the motor as well as the welder. It is a bobcat and that is Miller. They provide both manuals when bought new and he should follow those recommendations. If he didn't get a manual on the motor he got screwed.If he did get one he should read it. And I beg to differ with you cause it is in the manual for the motor break in oil changes. Besides guy wants to know when to change the oil on his new machine with a kohler engine. Still the same look in the motor manual that SHOULD have come with the welder. It is in there.
    Besides that Miller didn't make the engine, they just put it in the welder. If he really is all that concerned he should take the model and serial number to the Kohler site for the straight answers to his question and not here. Any answer he gets here is little better than bar talk.
    Last edited by Steve; 07-21-2008 at 12:31 AM.