Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Default TIG Welding for Dummies

Since the Diversion thread has grown so large, I decided to present my impressions of the "TIG Welding for Dummies" book and the Diversion 165 setup DVD in this separate thread.

I received the package yesterday and since it has been raining here for the last two days, I dove right in.

First the book. As a general information book on the tig process, the book hits its target. However, I feel there is a bit of information that would be beneficial to the new tig weldor that was left out. Even though the Diversion 165 has attempted to make it simple to set up for particular material thicknesses, including the old rule of thumb of 1 amp per .001" would have been a good idea. This might help reinforce the reason you set the dial where you do as there is a range with each setting. Sometimes you might set it low in a specific range and sometimes higher. (This is somewhat referenced in the DVD).

Secondly, there should have been a section on weld troubleshooting ie...Why am I burning holes in aluminum?, What is that brown stuff around my steel welds?, Why are there holes in my welds? etc.... I'm sure when the machines hit the mass market, this forum will be hit regularly with these types of questions.

The DVD. Well done. John takes you from the simple unpacking procedure through actually running beads. Wow, he even shows how to properly grind a tungsten. Sure do like that diamond wheel. The only thing I didn't particullarly care for was the rapid clip flashing at the start.

Again, a weld troubleshooting demo would have been very nice. Show why you back off a bit on the amp control as the weld proceeds. Explain HAZ. Demonstrate laps, fillets, edges etc. Give a short explanation of each weld and what the weldor should concentrate on. While I know this wasn't mean't to be a short course in welding, I think for the new weldor, this would be a great addition. It would get them off on the right foot so to speak.

In summary, for the market Miller is targeting with this new welder, I think it will be a good value. If the purchaser takes the time to read the book and watch the DVD (more than once), they should be successful in making decent welds in short order. Then the forum can help take it from there.

My thanks to Miller and John for allowing me to take the survey and to preview and critique the book and DVD. I found it an enjoyable way to spend a rainy day.

Sounds good, i haven't recieved mine yet. As some one who learned to TIG without ever seeing it done, i can vouch for how useful a video could be. I was very frustrated at first. If you put the books next to you and try EXACTLY what is written you will manage, but actually seeing it is completely different! I hope this leads to some more in depth videos by Miller.
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear

I got the book last week and also thought it was great. I have never tig welded and have been reading about it alot and could never understand it until i red this book and watched the dvd.
    Does anyone know when the diversion welder will come out?
    I can not wate any longer!!!!
    I contacted miller ands they have not responded yet

Quote Originally Posted by mini-number1 View Post
    I got the book last week and also thought it was great. I have never tig welded and have been reading about it alot and could never understand it until i red this book and watched the dvd.
    Did you they calling them?

Here's my posts from the Diversion thread:

Quote Originally Posted by StillBoostin View Post
    I just got the DVD and Book. Here are some pics.

James
    Quote Originally Posted by StillBoostin View Post
    Just watched the DVD. It is pretty good. I've bought HTP's DVD and Weld Pro's DVD and this one I can tell some goos money was put into it for production. John in the How to Weld section: you should take more time on the protective gear. Show and say you are welding on a steel table and placing your palms on the side of the table to stabilize your hand. Show the right way to weld as you did and what to do if if you touch the filler metal to the tungsten. Nice diamond wheel on the grinder. You show how to sharpen the tungsten, but not which one Miller suggests to be used with this machine on each metal. Good weld prep. I liked that and it shound help a new tig weldor.

James
    Miller Dynasty 200DX SOLD
    WeldTec Water Cooler SOLD
    Miller Millermatic 180 w/ Spoolmate 100
    20Ton press
    And lots of Cut-off and grinding wheels
    www.IAGPERFORMANCE.com

Hopefully the book and the DVD will be beneficial, mine arrived on Monday, but I've been out of town working, so apparently I have some viewing and reading for the weekend. I talked to my Miller area rep, and he is unaware at this time when it will be available in the northeast, but he said he was aware of the product and had seen it in operation, and said he was very please with the results and believes it will be a winner for Miller, as always, time will tell, but here's hoping.

Jack

Default When will the Diversion 165 be available?

Thanks for the feedback on he TIG Welding for Dummies book and Diversion DVD!! Your input was the very reason we wanted to these out into your hands, so you could give your honest opinions. On a side note, both of these are normally only available in the Diversion 165 product package.

Quote Originally Posted by mini-number1 View Post
    We currently are in the process of rolling the machine out into various areas of the country (U.S.A.). The machine will be fully released by November.

If anyone else would like to receive a free copy of the TIG Welding for Dummies book and Diversion 165 "Set-up & Operation" DVD, simply follow the link posted below and complete the quick weding preferences survey. We are only sending these out to the first 300 individuals to complete the survey.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?s...t_2bzDlw_3d_3d

More discussion about the book and DVD, as well as the Diversion 165 itself can be found under the thread titled "Miller's New TIG" in this forum.

Thanks again everyone!
    Last edited by Miller Swartz; 07-17-2008 at 02:46 PM.
    John Swartz
    Miller Electric Mfg., Co.

John.Swartz@MillerWelds.com

" All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up"
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

No complaints about the content of the book, though Old Sporty makes some good points.

It's the "for dummies" I have a problem with. First of all, the "for dummies" gimmick is played out; second, I don't want Miller products, which I believe to be the best, associated with dummies, no matter what the intention is.

"Miller's TIG Welding Basics" would be fine.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by jamscal View Post
    I don't want Miller products, which I believe to be the best, associated with dummies, no matter what the intention is.
    My first electric welder was(is) a Syncrowave 250 because I wanted to weld aluminum. In 1993 cheap wasn't an option, neither was learning on the internet. I stepped up to Miller and have NEVER been sorry. I don't like seeing the 'dumbing down' of the weld community. I have read almost 3 dozen welding BOOKS and I didn't just look at the pictures.
    RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.

I got my book and DVD today. The book is very informative to someone who has no experience with TIG (such as myself). Seems the main problem most have with the book is actually the title of the book itself. I say, if that is the case, rip off the cover, forget the title and absorb the info within. If you already know everthing in the book, use it as a coaster: four bottles of Shiner Bock will easily fit on the fully closed book.

The DVD is well presented and full of info on both the Diversion machine as well as TIG in general. Watching that vidio is my first chance to actually see someone TIG weld anything. It removes much of the mystery from the term TIG welded.

Well done Miller. Give the Diversion 165 stick capability and you have a customer here.
    Larry

"I feel for the man who can only spell a word one way"......Mark Twain

Lincoln AC225-S (OLD/Copper Wound)
    Lincoln Weldpac 100
    Miller Matic 180 (auto set)
    Miller Spool gun 100
    Miller Spectrum 375 Extreme
    Victor Super Range II