Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default first bbq pit / smoker

hey guys,

I've been crusing around the forums for a while but have never had a chance to register so here I am. I'm asking for some advice on how to get my project's warpage taken care of. I'm building a bbq smoker out of 1/4" plate and schedule 10- 20" diameter black pipe. Everything went well until i cut the door with my spectrum 625. The section of door I cut got warped in the process. I even spaced out the cuts just like i would with welding with time in between to let the piece cool. Anyways after i was done it was warped slightly. SO i clamped it back into place when I was welding the 1" x 1/8" flange on the out side. I spaced out the welds again with ample time in bewtween to let the piece cool. I thought everything was honky dory until i let loose the lower clamps when the door bowed out like a 1/4" along the bottom. This was after everything cooled. Any ideas on how to bend this beast back ??? I've included pics to give you guys an idea on whats up. thx!!!!!

here are some ideas from a bbq board.
    these aren't my pits , just thing i have seen others do.

Hope this helps.

You can check out pictures of my smoker build by going to my BBQ site.

http://www.castandque.com

Default Fixing warpage...

This might not be feasible for you but do you know anyone who works In a fab shop? It would take 2 minutes to pop your door in a roller and bend it back into place.

From the previous post I'd say the first picture would be best, only I'd add more than two threaded bars to get a even bend. With a ratchet type system where you screw all bolts down evenly and with the application of heat you should get it don well enough.

Preheat and post heat reduces thermal distortion but again this might not be feasible.

can my bend in my door be fixed without heat??? I do not have a torch set available to me. I was possibly even thinking about placing some welds along the inside of the door when i have put tension on it with whatever way i decide. It would still put heat into the door i would just have to grind the welds down when it cools. Anyone's take on this???

is the gap so big that some latches won't hold it down enough to seal?

Heating on the inside will fix it. But first I would heat it up pretending to use it & see how that heat effects it. It may surprise you as it cools it may pull back enough to do the job. Lot more even heat than torch & as it cools it will pull it down quite a bit. No sense making it perfect & then the first time you use it it may overshrink. Keep us posted.
    252 Miller Mig
    180 Synchrowave
    R - 45 Milling Machine
    Kingston 1100 Lathe
    Miller 2050 Plasma Cutter

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck_050382 View Post
    is the gap so big that some latches won't hold it down enough to seal?
    the latches are fine...it just got warped a little initially when i took a plasma cutter to it the first time i cut the door out.

Quote Originally Posted by blaznhot_23 View Post
    the latches are fine...it just got warped a little initially when i took a plasma cutter to it the first time i cut the door out.
    If you can get it wo seal with some latches, I wouldn't try to bend it a lot.

I think the Metal Doctor was on to something as well. The pit will grow while in use. My smoker leaks some as it comes up to temp, but once it all gets hot it doesn't leak enough that I am going to worry about.

Chuck
    Last edited by Chuck_050382; 07-17-2008 at 02:27 PM. Reason: spelling

Hello and welcome to the forum.

As suggested I would fire it up and get it good and hot and see what happens first. It doesn't look all that bad and it may solve itself.

As to whether or not you can bend it without heat the question is really how hard will it be to bend it without heat and get it where you want it to stay. I'd go a bit at a time with the jackscrew idea. Its controlable and you can put the presure wher you want easy enough.

Nice work BTW.

Good luck.

With no heat you will have to adjust the plate beyond the point you are after so it springs out, with heat you won't...