Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
    Build a long rectangular flat sided thin wall box with non overlapping 90 deg corners incorporating ground down welds that is to be hung exposed, both inside the drivers compartment as well as externally under a rock crawling jeep and fill with gasoline. No foam, no internal liner, nothing to prevent the tank from flexing and splitting right next to a ground weld area in the HAZ. As the fuel sloshes and vibrates inside the tank it will cause the flat panels to flex like a 1 gallon paint thinner can. Unlike the thinner can which has seamless rounded corners and rolled lapped ends the corners on yours are stress risers. The stock was made from pressed steel for reasons more that economy and ease. The two halves are mated at the equator and the welds are planned so that they are not stress risers. The edges and corners are seamless and rounded.
    wtf?

ok so on the side try to get through this....

then on the back through this

its happened before!!! bumper didnt move... now with the 3/16 corners i dont believe its somethin to keep draggin out...

ps that was from a mini yota truck doin fourty... as for the bottom.... it will have a minimum 3/16 steel skid it will be FINE. i do not see tabs to mount on my cell... i dont see the chassi splittin it up from the flex... it will be strapped! it is perfectly strong. the baffles act like gussets. drive over and punch it.... if it makes the smallest dent ill redo it

back to the build.... its comin!

Thanks, point well taken. I see I have lived an insulated life in the road racing world where cells and tanks are cells and tanks.

JMHO: I think a cell, in drag racing anyway, has an aircraft style filler and a vent that will not leak when upside down, tanks just hold gas but don't meet the upside down requirements.
    You bring up a good point about construction though.... I know a lot of guys that have built their own cell to fit a particular spot in their racecar. I plan to build mine also, since I can't seem to find a factory built unit to fit like I'd like. As far as I know the only thing tech checks is the filler & vent. (correct me if that's wrong). You would think SFI would mandate an approved cell that met certain construction requirements. (FOR ALL RACECARS, NOT JUST THE PROS) The kind of requirements that can only be checked during construction since, once assembled who knows if they are really built/welded correctly to handle a crash. Maybe there haven't been enough home made cells split open in crashes to warrant an SFI fuel cell for all classes?
    Just thinking out loud.

cool, looks like a fun project.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

some progress on the frame. the stock frame has a hole drilled and new fame slid in a couple inches and was plug welded. then fully welded. then i used 3/16th plate to even the surface and welded it up. then i will flap smooth and fish plate on all sides.

and as of last night its lookin like this...

looks sweet in person... not done but its comin together