Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums
 
Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 39
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Wichita Falls, Tx
    Posts
    177

    Default

    be sure to stencil on the back of your tank "Do NOT ram, explosion will result."

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    flat , and lots of dirt
    Posts
    123

    Default Baffled about baffles?

    I have mainly worked on three models of aircraft....
    the UH-60a, OH-58A/C, and the Air Tractor 502-B.....


    The only one of them that had any baffles, was the cropduster in its 500 gallon chemical hopper.

    The OH-58 holds 71.5 gallons and there is not one single baffle.

    The UH-60 holds 360 gallons in two tanks, big enough to crawl in.

    As critical as balance is in a helicopter, and no baffles?

    I am baffled.
    Last edited by Blackbird455; 10-06-2008 at 02:27 AM.
    SYNCROWAVE 200
    Atlas 618 lathe (vintage 1960) reconditioned DC
    Sioux 3/8 Pneumatic Reversible Drill
    Makita Everything else
    2400 square feet of Sanford and Son lookin shop space
    "Once the spoon flys, putting the pin back in won't solve anything"
    USA 15T, 15V

    www.myspace.com/blackbird455

    http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...5/DSC00356.jpg two cans, one welder

  3. #23
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    26

    Default

    does that heli have a single intank pick up with flat 35" bottom? with that much fuel is it more likly to have enuf to compensate? or does it have a deep sump pick up? or maybe a multi point pick up?

  4. #24
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ace4059 View Post
    be sure to stencil on the back of your tank "Do NOT ram, explosion will result."
    lol i might take you up on that! but in reality it has a 1/4 inchsteel skid and is flush with frame. then in the back their is now 3/16 corner guards from door to tail gate... then a real stinger out DOM in the works with the new bender... it will be fine. def safer then the stock

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    flat , and lots of dirt
    Posts
    123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mean_Green View Post
    does that heli have a single intank pick up with flat 35" bottom? with that much fuel is it more likly to have enuf to compensate? or does it have a deep sump pick up? or maybe a multi point pick up?
    Very good point

    The reason the helis don't have baffles:

    The tanks are well below the horizontal plane of the CG, meaning its like a water bucket on the end of a rope. As the helis turn, gravity keeps the fuel stuck to the bottom of the tank. BTW, single pick ups. Also the tanks are break-away - collapsible , for crashworthiness.
    I believe that the smaller the tank, in a wheeled vehicle, the baffles are more important, because of sloshing, to ensure constant fuel delivey.
    That lil jeep is going to slosh the heck out of it.

    Side note:

    I used to work for a guy that had a 3000 gal 100 octane avgas tank.
    It was painted black, and you could see a steady stream of vapors all day long coming from the vent. $$$ just a waistin!! We painted it gloss white, most of the vapor loss went away.
    SYNCROWAVE 200
    Atlas 618 lathe (vintage 1960) reconditioned DC
    Sioux 3/8 Pneumatic Reversible Drill
    Makita Everything else
    2400 square feet of Sanford and Son lookin shop space
    "Once the spoon flys, putting the pin back in won't solve anything"
    USA 15T, 15V

    www.myspace.com/blackbird455

    http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...5/DSC00356.jpg two cans, one welder

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird455 View Post
    Very good point

    Side note:

    I used to work for a guy that had a 3000 gal 100 octane avgas tank.
    It was painted black, and you could see a steady stream of vapors all day long coming from the vent. $$$ just a waistin!! We painted it gloss white, most of the vapor loss went away.
    was the tank exposed to sun? black would deff increase temps then... im not a wiz at that stuff but i get what was happinin... my vent is all vacum sealed to the stock evap canister. only vent to the world is the one on the filler neck. but its only opened when the cap is off for re fuelin... but very good point.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    26

    Default

    comin along....


  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    flat , and lots of dirt
    Posts
    123

    Default

    I went back and looked, Nice Jeep! Never seen one with the flares off.
    SYNCROWAVE 200
    Atlas 618 lathe (vintage 1960) reconditioned DC
    Sioux 3/8 Pneumatic Reversible Drill
    Makita Everything else
    2400 square feet of Sanford and Son lookin shop space
    "Once the spoon flys, putting the pin back in won't solve anything"
    USA 15T, 15V

    www.myspace.com/blackbird455

    http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...5/DSC00356.jpg two cans, one welder

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pro70z28 View Post
    Not to nit pick but if it does not have a flexable liner it is not a fuel cell

    Not according to NHRA or SFI (Rule book requires a Jazz #220-015-0 fuel cell for pro stock).

    http://www.jazproducts.com/pro_drag_fc.html

    They come with or without foam but no liner.
    Thanks, point well taken. I see I have lived an insulated life in the road racing world where cells and tanks are cells and tanks.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mean_Green View Post
    as far as fuel cells needing a liner. tell that to rci, jass, fuel safe and the other companys that all sell tanks that do not contain inner bladders or another flexible liner. they do sell some that do but not all.

    summit racing fuel cells

    tell me how many of the cells have the inner bladder and come back.then write your email to the companys and tell them wiki says they have it all wrong
    Boy, take some time off the welding board and get hammered. I think you are missing the difference between convention and common usage with regards to vernacular. Kind of like Weldor and welder. A welder is a machine and Weldor is the well trained guy using it. Weldor is not all too common outside of the field but it is still proper usage regardless. I guess I am insulated by the conventions and rules incorporated in road racing. Regardless, point on nomenclature used in many racing venues taken.

    This does lead to a problem. Consider this. If an unlined fuel container with no safety foam or other safety increasing devices other than being made of molded plastic can be called a fuel cell what constitutes a fuel cell? Can any container be called a cell or fuel tank interchangeably? Is it defined by the maker? Is there a convention or definition? What is a “fuel cell” then? Anything that holds fuel or a device that incorporates some or many systems, methods and devices to prevent leakage, fire and or explosion?


    1. Post looking for advice on building a fuel cell. 2. Post pictures of an example you planned to copy in function. 3. Proceed to not bother to use any of the methods used in the example or accept any of the recommendations from the people that replied.
    Build a long rectangular flat sided thin wall box with non overlapping 90 deg corners incorporating ground down welds that is to be hung exposed, both inside the drivers compartment as well as externally under a rock crawling jeep and fill with gasoline. No foam, no internal liner, nothing to prevent the tank from flexing and splitting right next to a ground weld area in the HAZ. As the fuel sloshes and vibrates inside the tank it will cause the flat panels to flex like a 1 gallon paint thinner can. Unlike the thinner can which has seamless rounded corners and rolled lapped ends the corners on yours are stress risers. The stock was made from pressed steel for reasons more that economy and ease. The two halves are mated at the equator and the welds are planned so that they are not stress risers. The edges and corners are seamless and rounded.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mean_Green View Post
    thanks for the words. not to get out of line but did you go to college? did you take any classes requiring research? then youll know why they dont let you do research on wiki . not bein mean at all. im assumin you have been to college and will know what i mean when the hamster makes the light go on.
    If you feel the need to mount an attack by questioning someone’s education rather than discussing the question at hand please attempt to use 4th grade or better English during as it helps the cause. I used Wiki for one click ease on my part only, there are other examples that reinforce the definition available. I am sure that you can use the same research skills that you have incorporated in your fuel cell design to find them. Please bear in mind that I only posted a recomendation on the use of foam and liners in response to your request for info.
    Last edited by Vicegrip; 10-13-2008 at 07:22 AM.
    Weekend wannab racer with some welders.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    26

    Default

    [QUOTE=Vicegrip;161772]
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
    Boy, take some time off the welding board and get hammered. I think you are missing the difference between convention and common usage with regards to vernacular. Kind of like Weldor and welder. A welder is a machine and Weldor is the well trained guy using it. Weldor is not all too common outside of the field but it is still proper usage regardless. I guess I am insulated by the conventions and rules incorporated in road racing. Regardless, point on nomenclature used in many racing venues taken.
    i think you were hammered when you wrote that?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
    This does lead to a problem. Consider this. If an unlined fuel container with no safety foam or other safety increasing devices other than being made of molded plastic can be called a fuel cell what constitutes a fuel cell? Can any container be called a cell or fuel tank interchangeably? Is it defined by the maker? Is there a convention or definition? What is a “fuel cell” then? Anything that holds fuel or a device that incorporates some or many systems, methods and devices to prevent leakage, fire and or explosion?
    go ask wiki

    Quote Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
    If you feel the need to mount an attack by questioning someone’s education rather than discussing the question at hand please attempt to use 4th grade or better English during as it helps the cause. I used Wiki for one click ease on my part only, there are other examples that reinforce the definition available. I am sure that you can use the same research skills that you have incorporated in your fuel cell design to find them. Please bear in mind that I only posted a recomendation on the use of foam and liners in response to your request for info.
    their was a disclaimer.... look again buddy.... i listened and took all recomendations to the heart. really?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 74

Welding Projects

Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.