Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

progress... makin sure theirs no way it will leak

Quote Originally Posted by Mean_Green View Post
    not all cells are built with internal bladders... tho many do. not all.

i decided to make it out of 16 ga. steel and it will have a angled bottom for less fuel starvation. it will have a inner frame that i will plate then fill with preasure and check for leaks. then i will seal the inside with por15 and make a sending unit ring. goin to the metal yard tomorrow. ill post pics as i do it.
    Not to nit pick but if it does not have a flexable liner it is a fuel tank. From Wiki. "A racing fuel cell is a fuel container that differs from an ordinary fuel tank in the following ways: It has a flexible inner liner to minimize the potential for punctures in the event of a collision or other mishap resulting in serious damage to the vehicle. It is filled with an open-cell foam core to prevent explosion of vapor in the empty portion of the tank and to minimize sloshing of fuel during competition that may unbalance the vehicle or cause inadequate fuel (fuel starvation) delivery to the motor."

Rotted foam sucks but bear in mind it is not just for slosh, it slows the progression of a flame front, supressing explosions in less than full fuel cells. Replace the foam every other year in most conditions and it will not rot on you. There is a correct foam for most any fuel used. Cell and foam are not required in many apps. When impact is expected as in most racing they puncture resistant liner and foam are good to have. The liner will prevent a leak if the outer shell is distorted. If distortion is not likely a true cell might not be called for.
    Weekend wannab racer with some welders.

Not to nit pick but if it does not have a flexable liner it is not a fuel cell

Not according to NHRA or SFI (Rule book requires a Jazz #220-015-0 fuel cell for pro stock).

http://www.jazproducts.com/pro_drag_fc.html

They come with or without foam but no liner.
    Last edited by pro70z28; 09-14-2008 at 07:06 PM.

Just my opinion, the angle will add more weight than strength, and frankly it wouldn't look any better. Also I am not a big fan of grinding welds down smooth, it usually looks more home grown than professional. I would just weld in the baffle with intermittent fillet welds at the 3 sides accessible while the top is still off. Bend a 90 deg angle on the top edge of the baffles so that when you do put the top on you can drill some holes through the top plate and then plug weld to the baffles. This way the baffles are welded to all sides and is very strong. (full length continuous welds are way overkill and only add heat/distortion)

The real downside to using carbon steel is rust.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
    Not to nit pick but if it does not have a flexable liner it is a fuel tank. From Wiki. "A racing fuel cell is a fuel container that differs from an ordinary fuel tank in the following ways: It has a flexible inner liner to minimize the potential for punctures in the event of a collision or other mishap resulting in serious damage to the vehicle. It is filled with an open-cell foam core to prevent explosion of vapor in the empty portion of the tank and to minimize sloshing of fuel during competition that may unbalance the vehicle or cause inadequate fuel (fuel starvation) delivery to the motor."

Rotted foam sucks but bear in mind it is not just for slosh, it slows the progression of a flame front, supressing explosions in less than full fuel cells. Replace the foam every other year in most conditions and it will not rot on you. There is a correct foam for most any fuel used. Cell and foam are not required in many apps. When impact is expected as in most racing they puncture resistant liner and foam are good to have. The liner will prevent a leak if the outer shell is distorted. If distortion is not likely a true cell might not be called for.
    thanks for the words. not to get out of line but did you go to college? did you take any classes requiring research? then youll know why they dont let you do research on wiki . not bein mean at all. im assumin you have been to college and will know what i mean when the hamster makes the light go on.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    Just my opinion, the angle will add more weight than strength, and frankly it wouldn't look any better. Also I am not a big fan of grinding welds down smooth, it usually looks more home grown than professional. I would just weld in the baffle with intermittent fillet welds at the 3 sides accessible while the top is still off. Bend a 90 deg angle on the top edge of the baffles so that when you do put the top on you can drill some holes through the top plate and then plug weld to the baffles. This way the baffles are welded to all sides and is very strong. (full length continuous welds are way overkill and only add heat/distortion)

The real downside to using carbon steel is rust.
    i completely understand and i know where your comin from. i forgot to mention that it would make it easier to get a good burn on it. 16 ga with my 19 year old welding experiance does not work well for long welds that can have no burn through. the angle would have added some metal to help out. second the amount of weight that would have been added would not be anything substancial to all the other steel armor on my jeep. and the grindings main purpose is to cheack for any leaks at all. dont think it looks like booty fab at all.

i think my man BFJ's cell doesnt look to home grown. turned out sick. just dont mind his filler cap
    Last edited by Mean_Green; 09-20-2008 at 01:15 AM.

as far as fuel cells needing a liner. tell that to rci, jass, fuel safe and the other companys that all sell tanks that do not contain inner bladders or another flexible liner. they do sell some that do but not all.

summit racing fuel cells

tell me how many of the cells have the inner bladder and come back.then write your email to the companys and tell them wiki says they have it all wrong

and now onto some progress

didnt go with the angle frame.... wish i did now tho in hind sight
    Last edited by Mean_Green; 09-20-2008 at 01:37 AM.

a couple of pics of my project jeep. and theirs alot of things changin on this thing not just the cell. it was stock when i picked it up orriginally

stock gas tank
    [IMG][/IMG]

where it was i meen...
    [IMG][/IMG]

and where the new one will mount